Hard drive partitions

pethar

Hi

I have a PC on order from PCS and am after some advice on partitions so I can get them to allocate them in build.

I have spec'd a 1TB main drive (WD Green 64MB cache), so am after guidance on a partition plan for it to make things as tidy as possible.

I intend to put a 120-128GB SSD in the machine on arrival as a main boot disk, so I'm not sure how that might impact any decision........

Thanks for advice......the clocks ticking on my currently 'pre-production' build. :D

Meds

As your fitting the SDD as the OS/boot drive then there is no right or wrong way to setup the partitions really, it is simply down to personal preference and how you want to store your data.

pethar

Thanks Meds

I realise that the SSD clouds the issue, but assume for a minute that there was to be no SSD.

Would a 50GB partition for OS, 150GB for programs and a 800GB for data (or the remainder of the 1TB at least.....!) be a sensible way to manage things, protect integrity and help with maintaining performance over time?

Meds

Assuming no SSD, I would recommend between 80GB - 120GB for OS, then the rest is up to you really. You could have a separate partition for programmes or you could make the OS partition a bit bigger - say 250GB and have everything in the one partition then 750GB for data.

Gorman

Author Level
Thanks Meds

I realise that the SSD clouds the issue, but assume for a minute that there was to be no SSD.

Would a 50GB partition for OS, 150GB for programs and a 800GB for data (or the remainder of the 1TB at least.....!) be a sensible way to manage things, protect integrity and help with maintaining performance over time?

No, in a word.

Taking the SSD into account that should be used for the OS and programs, then have the Tb drive as a large storage drive. You can just as easily manage files with folders rather than partitions.

Setting just 50Gb for the OS will lead to headaches at some point as unless your paying very close attention everything you install and download will default to %systemdrive%