Hardware section

Grinder

Enthusiast
Ok I have been reading on these forums for a month now and have read a lot of discusions on which graphics card is faster than the other and which cpu is better ect viewers then troll the net looking for answers.

I think pcs could easily run some tests and benchmarks on different systems and then post some results for everyone to see .I think this could be done during the testing stage of system builds and all that data should be stored and there could be a mountain of knowledge available in no time at all :)

Just an idea.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
It's a great idea and something we'd love to do, but unfortunately each PC is part of a production line and most aspects of the installation are carried out automatically. If we were to manually run tests and record the results our lead time would go from 2 weeks to 2 months...:p

DSN

Enthusiast
Ok I have been reading on these forums for a month now and have read a lot of discusions on which graphics card is faster than the other and which cpu is better ect viewers then troll the net looking for answers.

I think pcs could easily run some tests and benchmarks on different systems and then post some results for everyone to see .I think this could be done during the testing stage of system builds and all that data should be stored and there could be a mountain of knowledge available in no time at all :)

Just an idea.

These tests are all over the interwebs.

Google is your friend.

Grinder

Enthusiast
Yes but some say one thing and one says another eg

Some say that the ati 6970 runs at 80 degrees Celsius when under load and is slower than a GTX570 and others say thats nonsence and it runs a lot cooler and is faster than a GTX570 and is more efficient .
Who do you believe and which card is best to buy and how much are they from PCS ?

Unless you spend a lot of time on the net and know everything about computers it must be very difficult for somebody new to pick what they want.

I understand now that PCS do not have the time to personally test thier rigs but they could show a few examples in some form of chart so that customers can see the choices on offer and how they perform then make up thier own minds whats best for themselves.
Although you do have a very good section where they can post thier examples and then the experts give thier opinions which is great :)

Last edited:

Tom DWC

The best thing to do is read as many articles as possible and make up your own mind as to which is more suitable for your needs. There is no right or wrong answer as to which is better.

To give a very general overview as things stand in early 2011 - Intel definitely lead AMD in the performance market with their new Sandy Bridge line up, but AMD may well change that with Bulldozer, which is on its way soon. And they still provide the best value for money. NVIDIA lead ATI (AMD) in terms of all round graphical usage, but generally an AMD card is the better buy for the sole purpose of gaming (again, there are some exceptions due to a technology known as Physx).

The deciding factor really should be price, and what you're prepared to spend.