HD TV recording to Blu Ray?

micben

Bronze Level Poster
I have a new PCS desktop on order, have been thinking about adding a TV card with a view to recording HD material (from Freesat) to Blu-Ray disc. PCS offer the Hauppage Win-TV Nova-HD-S2 for about £89 I believe. This card obviously will record to the hard drive but can I also record to Blu-Ray disc? (I have specified a BD rewriter).

I was also looking at DVB Viewer which can be downloaded for 15 Euros, does anyone have any knowledge of this? Or should I go for the Hauppage. If it only records to HDD then it's no use to me as I already have that capability on a Humax tuner (in another room).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Gishank

Bright Spark
If it records to the HDD then you can easily enough put it on a blu-ray disc afterwards, however recording directly to the bluray is possible in theory yet is most likely not a great idea given an error or fault can occur and you've quickly lost a disc. Though if I recall it's copyright infringement to make an external backup (DVD/Bluray) of TV shows without an appropriate license.

Last edited:

micben

Bronze Level Poster
If it records to the HDD then you can easily enough put it on a blu-ray disc afterwards, however recording directly to the bluray is possible in theory yet is most likely not a great idea given an error or fault can occur and you've quickly lost a disc. Though if I recall it's copyright infringement to make an external backup (DVD/Bluray) of TV shows without an appropriate license.

Great! Thanks for that. I think I will order the Hauppage. As you suggest, putting it on a BD later is good enough, no need to record direct. Regarding copyright, it is established that you can copy to VHS for home use (only), are there different rules for BD/DVD, and how could it be policed?

Gishank

Bright Spark
Yeah, naturally you can put it on the DVD/Bluray later on if you so wish without quality loss. As for licensing, I'm not too sure, I believe that legislation has changed since the days of VHS.