HDD that OS is installed on can be listed in the Invoice

hex93

Overall very happy with my experience on PCS, but had a gentle suggestion.

So I ordered a PC with an HDD and an SSD, and selected that the OS should be on the SSD (I think!). I wanted to double check that I had indeed done this, but I noticed that the drive that the OS is to be installed on is not shown in the PC specs or any order details that I can find.

Perhaps in the future the drive that the OS is to be installed on can be specified along with the build specs?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Overall very happy with my experience on PCS, but had a gentle suggestion.

So I ordered a PC with an HDD and an SSD, and selected that the OS should be on the SSD (I think!). I wanted to double check that I had indeed done this, but I noticed that the drive that the OS is to be installed on is not shown in the PC specs or any order details that I can find.

Perhaps in the future the drive that the OS is to be installed on can be specified along with the build specs?
PCS normally install the OS on your fastest drive, unless you specify otherwise.

Rakk

The Awesome
PCS normally install the OS on your fastest drive, unless you specify otherwise.
Actually I was under the impression that they would install on either the first selected M.2 drive or the first selected SSD/HDD shown on the configurator, if you have both then it asks whether you want it installed on the M.2 or the SSD/HDD (it recommends the M.2).

So if you select a slower M.2 as your first M.2 it will be on that one

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Actually I was under the impression that they would install on either the first selected M.2 drive or the first selected SSD/HDD shown on the configurator, if you have both then it asks whether you want it installed on the M.2 or the SSD/HDD (it recommends the M.2).

So if you select a slower M.2 as your first M.2 it will be on that one
That is interesting. My first m.2 drive is 512GB and my second 1TB (both the same type). I would like my OS on the smaller (first) drive. I did send a message to tech support at the weekend and the PC has gone into build today before I have had any reply. Would PCS normally install Windows as I have requested?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That is interesting. My first m.2 drive is 512GB and my second 1TB (both the same type). I would like my OS on the smaller (first) drive. I did send a message to tech support at the weekend and the PC has gone into build today before I have had any reply. Would PCS normally install Windows as I have requested?
Yes, normally if 2 identical drives, the install the OS on the smallest

hex93

I had been assuming this, though just wanted to double check that I did not specify otherwise. I remember there being a checkbox for which drive I wanted to install on and I believe I checked SSD as per PCS's reccomendation, but have no way to confirm that I actually did this.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I had been assuming this, though just wanted to double check that I did not specify otherwise. I remember there being a checkbox for which drive I wanted to install on and I believe I checked SSD as per PCS's reccomendation, but have no way to confirm that I actually did this.
If you use the Live Chat feature (from a desktop browser, doesn't work on mobile) you can log with an operator exactly which drive you want it installing on.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I asked a similar question during my build as I had two M.2 selected. I was told by PCS that they will install it on the first M.2 drive listed on your build. So I would assume it be the same for HDD/SDD.

My memory says that you get a warning box when you click 'proceed' tells you if you have it the wrong way around - i.e. your first stoarge is a HDD and your second is an SSD - for exactly this reason.....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just checked it there actually:

1615813140798.png

If the OP didn't get this message during his selection process then he has them the right way around I would assume!

(EDIT - FWIW I actually selected a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD - so size doesn't matter I'm sorry to say!!)

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I originally had two 512GB m.2 drives in my build (as well as an SSD and HDD) and selected the m.2 drive for Windows installation. During my wait I made a few amendments, so it now matters which m.2 drive the OS is on. The smaller drive is the first one, so it should go on there.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I originally had two 512GB m.2 drives in my build (as well as an SSD and HDD) and selected the m.2 drive for Windows installation. During my wait I made a few amendments, so it now matters which m.2 drive the OS is on. The smaller drive is the first one, so it should go on there.
Yes I think that is correct Bigfoot.....

Rakk

The Awesome
I asked a similar question during my build as I had two M.2 selected. I was told by PCS that they will install it on the first M.2 drive listed on your build. So I would assume it be the same for HDD/SDD.

My memory says that you get a warning box when you click 'proceed' tells you if you have it the wrong way around - i.e. your first stoarge is a HDD and your second is an SSD - for exactly this reason.....

I knew I'd seen it somewhere on the forums about that, thus my comment much earlier in the thread, thanks for confirming I wasn't just imagining things :)

Gomjaba

Bronze Level Poster

Sometimes you do get an over-eager technician ... I ordered two very fast m.2 (2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS) and two SSDs (4TB Samsung 860 QVO) - asked specifically to please install the OS on the SSD as the M.2s were reserved for a specific project. It was still installed on the M.2 because 'it makes more sense' :)

Ended up re-deploying the OS as even cloning didn't really work due to the fact the SSDs were attached to the internal raid controllers and Acronis and other image programs just couldn't deal with it. Not a big deal obviously - it is easily reinstalled quickly .. well ... quickly ... once you created an USB :)

hex93

If you use the Live Chat feature (from a desktop browser, doesn't work on mobile) you can log with an operator exactly which drive you want it installing on.
Hm, I'm having trouble actually finding the live chat feature (i'm using firefox). is there a link somewhere?

hex93

Just checked it there actually:

View attachment 23694

If the OP didn't get this message during his selection process then he has them the right way around I would assume!

(EDIT - FWIW I actually selected a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD - so size doesn't matter I'm sorry to say!!)
Yes I remember getting this message, I believe I switched to the SSD after seeing it but wanted to confirm that that's the case. Essentially I want a way to look into this *after* the order has been placed as I have forgotten