HDMI 2.0 merging with 2.1 and now 2.1a

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So this is pretty frustrating news to say the least.

The HDMI Standards Authority for some unkown reason is choosing to merge HDMI 2.0 into HDMI 2.1.

So where previously it was abundantly clear which devices were able to achieve 4k 120Hz, now the only way to know will be a specific labelling as such under the description, much like the travesty that was USB 3.

This has only just been announced, and there's already been huge backlash, so there may well be some movement on this in the future.

But for now, if buying a monitor, be very careful to check deeper into the HDMI specifications of the unit if you're wanting to use a console with it also.

Any gaming PC should really be using Display Port, so this is more related to Console use

D

Deleted member 41971

So this is pretty frustrating news to say the least.

The HDMI Standards Authority for some unkown reason is choosing to merge HDMI 2.0 into HDMI 2.1.

So where previously it was abundantly clear which devices were able to achieve 4k 120Hz, now the only way to know will be a specific labelling as such under the description, much like the travesty that was USB 3.

This has only just been announced, and there's already been huge backlash, so there may well be some movement on this in the future.

But for now, if buying a monitor, be very careful to check deeper into the HDMI specifications of the unit if you're wanting to use a console with it also.

Any gaming PC should really be using Display Port, so this is more related to Console use

why do they keep doing this

Banging Head On Desk GIFs | Tenor

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wish I could feel shocked by this. For years consumers were pandered to, now we are getting fleeced and squeezed for every penny in everything. I don't know if covid is a catalyst or an excuse, but the actual value for money across the board is horrendous right now.