HDMI,DVI OR VGA...which is better

greybing

hi ,just wondering if dvi and hdmi are the best quality connections ,i now hdmi and dvi are practically the same only hdmi allows audio through the connection ...are both these better than vga.....when i manage to get a working pc [mine is awaiting pick up for rma] i want to know whether i should connect with hdmi or vga ,these are the 2 options for connection i have.thanks

Sleinous

Author Level
hdmi and dvi should in theory be better, although, I used a VGA cable for a while until my DVi cable arrived (dvi to vga adapter from GPU) and I saw zilch difference :p Apparently this is something to do with teh fact that max bandwidth that VGA can support still hasnt been filled up even @ 1920x1080, DVi and HDMI are probs needed for massive monitors + 3d viewing.

Gorman

Author Level
HDMI is a rounded off DVI cable, this was done so the TV consumer market did not hurt themselves.

DVI is higher quality than VGA.

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, to be clear, if you consider video only, HDMI and DVI are exactly the same thing (although the plugs are different, but there are adapters).

Audio, on the hand, you can only do with HDMI in the same cable. Not sure how common HDMI audio is on computers though (i.e. people can ignore it and use normal stereo audio on a PC instead...)

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
oh I guess my quick google of the differences between the two earlier wasn't careful enough - sorry :p

Gorman

Author Level
oh I guess my quick google of the differences between the two earlier wasn't careful enough - sorry :p

Its a common misconception!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

DVI is mostly compatible with HDMI. The main difference is that DVI typically carries no audio data in its TMDS channel, although increasingly, modern PC video hardware is providing audio (e.g., cards by NVIDIA[2] and ATI[3]), allowing the PC to send audiovisual data to a high definition television with an HDMI input. If a PC's DVI output does not provide audio, it can be patched in as part of the DVI to HDMI adapter.

Sleinous

Author Level
Very useful thanks :) Never knew that. I guess it has to enter the TV in HDMI or can you still use the DVI port on the TV? Could you just do DVI to DVI connection whilst ignoring all the HDMI nonsense? Or does the TV/Monitor only look for attached audio on the HDMI port?

Gorman

Author Level
Most Tv's wont accept audio over DVI. But thats the TV's fault.

HDMI is literally a "consumer" proof version of DVI.

Sleinous

Author Level
I was asking your knowledgebase, not google XD

Btw, it returned nothing but sale sites for buying the MonitorTV :p

Gorman

Author Level
bah, you get the idea. I thing the devices that support it are few and far between, you need a HDMI adaptor for most.