Headset - USB vs 3.5mm jacks?

Outerarm

Bit of a stupid question* but between USB and 3.5mm jacks which is the best connector for headsets?

I have a nice set of Sennheiser headphones and a cheap and nasty Sony gaming headset (which also gets used for Skype). The Sennheiser set have a great sound but no microphone while the Sony set have poor sound quality but a reasonable mic, so I’m looking at options for replacing them with a single set. As part of my research I’m wondering what type of connector (excluding optical) would be best for sound quality?

Thanks in advance!

*As Mr. Garrison once said “remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.”

steaky360

I am not the best person to answer this (by no means an audiophile haha) - however, as you have a sound card I would recommend a jack and definitely recommend AGAINST using USB - your sound card will be of no use if you use a USB headset!

Keedar

Expert
I have tritton ax720,sennheiser 465hd and week ago had to get new headset because i damaged mic in trittons.I ordered Creative Tactic Sound Blaster Alpha.Dont know if there is a difference.Trittons works on optic cable,sennheiser jack and Creative usb with sound card build:) I dont know witch is the best.

rickne

Master Poster
Stood on my Alienware set the other week :( They werent great but felt comfy. Sigh , not to spend more money.

Outerarm

Thanks for the info -- 3.5mm jacks it will be (and note to self not to stand on the new pair or break off the mic!)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
no wait

edit - you have a decent sound get!!! dont use usb, and dont stick to standard ports.

Get yourself a decent digital 5.1 dolby digital headset, and make use of that soundcard!!!! Tritton ax pro's ftw!!!

Bsrz

Rising Star
its funny this thread was made since I have been debating the same thing my self, here are the two head sets I am looking at -
Sennheiser PC360 game corded headset - uses 3.5mm - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DA4D2U/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers
or the
Sennheiser PC363D - uses usb - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-...1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359500110&sr=1-5

I also looked into buying a set of these headphones - sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294
and then using a blue snowball mic - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Microp...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1359297264&sr=1-1

since I am buying a good sound card - I will probably go for the pc360 as it will take advantage of that - note as others have said usb will NOT work with your sound card - only 3.5mm and the outer jacks it provides such as optical... gl with picking your headset, I would recommend having a look at these headsets tho I hear they are some of the best. and very very comfy to. also note - stereo headsets and real 5.1/7.1 surround sound headsets will always beat virtual surround sound - if your playing fps games, maybe go for a true surround sound headset like the roccat kave - if not seriously take a look at stereo headsets.

Last edited:

Outerarm

Thanks for the additional info. Certain a USB headset is out of the question! I'm uming and ahing about an optical set -- while they would be great they would be somewhat limited to my new rig whereas I'm hoping I could use a new set with my laptop as well (which doesn't have the optical port).

My current Sennheiser set is the HD 570 and I have to say that they have a great sound are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. I'm wondering of the Sennheiser PC360 will have the same overall quality.

Outerarm

Bah! Way too much choice on this front. For high-end options the Sennheiser PC360 seems to offer the best for a 3.5mm connection while the Tritton Pro+ looks like a great optical connection solution. :surrender:

As I want to use the cups on machines with no optical port, the PC360 would seem to be best, but as I'm going flat out on my rig why put up with mere stereo when the Pro+ will offer 5.1 and at £26 cheaper through PCS? I can see myself making no decision and sticking with what I've got :confused:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
@outerarm

for gaming and movies the trittons plus a soundcard would be ace for gaming and movies. But not ideal for mobility due to loads of cables. I wouldn't want to connect mine into a laptop.

Outerarm

Thanks for the ideas... I'm going to stick with what I have for the time being until my current set stop working, then I'll likely go for a cheap 3.5mm jack solution for my laptop (primarily Skype) and a full optical solution for the main rig.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
My problem was that I have a soundcard so wanted to use a headset with 3.5mm jacks, but I also wanted a wireless headset and could only find those with USB :(

So I ended up with a USB headset. Then I discovered the joys involved in trying to get both the speakers and headset playing sound at the same time!

Karnor00

Bright Spark
if you still wanted a wireless headset that works with your sound card have a look at these headphones im considering buying - just use 3.5mm jack or optical out - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294

Yup, looks as if those are exactly what I was looking for :(

That said, I'm not too unhappy with my USB headphones - they are comfortable, sound good and I did eventually manage to get sound through both headphones and speakers at the same time.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Out of USB and a 3.5mm jack theres not a massive difference, at least from the sets I've used. If you can though go for an optical set with a 3.5mm jack for the mic. I have a set of Astro A40 2013's and they're brilliant, extremely comfortable, sound quality is immense.

If you aren't looking for a gaming set but want a set of quality sounding headphones, get a set of B&W P5's they have a microphone built in but its more for iPhone use, however with the right adaptor they would work as a decent mic for skype etc and quality for music would be second to none.

Bsrz

Rising Star
Out of USB and a 3.5mm jack theres not a massive difference, at least from the sets I've used.
Trust me there is if you invest in a premium sound card such as the Xonar Essence STX - if you use the right cables to connect your headset to the sound card that is, and If you buy a good quality headset as well.