Headsets

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Just a quick question on connections.

If you plug your headset into the front panel connectors are you using the audio from the dedicated sound card plus its driver or are you only using the onboard sound due to not being plugged directly into the back of the soundcard?

Thanks

On the subject of headsets as well does anyone have any recommendations?

Also forgot to put in my original posting I'm using a coolermaster storm trooper case.

steaky360

Well that depends, some soundcards have headers to hook up the front ports. Check inside the PC if there are wires heading to the front of the PC then most likely yes.

If there are no wires/connections to the sound card then you most likely wont be using the dedicated sound card.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Last time I had the side panel off I dont re-call any wires leading away from the sound card, a double check will be needed though.

I have an asus xonar dgx whether that helps I'm not sure.

steaky360

If you want it to work, find out where the audio headers on the mother board are, check the sound card has similar headers and move the cable (if it doesn't reach you might need an extension).

steaky360

No worries at all, hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject than me will give you some suggestions for a suitable headset :)

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
That would be great. My initial search regarding headsets lead me to the new sennheiser 350 SE and the 363D however the latter uses a usb soundcard (included) and I have no need for that so the 350 SE looks like a potential purchase.

Whether the dedicated gaming headsets from the likes of razer etc are worth the extra money is debatable?

You see alot of recommendations from internet users that you should avoid all the talk of "dedicated gaming" peripherals as they are simply money makers with lower quality than the two models I have mentioned.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
if you a xonar DXG, i'd suggest going for a analogue headset and connect it to the channels on the back of the card.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Have you looked at the Beyerdynamic range? Very highly rated and I believe the DT 770 is the usual choice although it doesn't come with a mic. I think most people buy clip-on ones for less than a tenner or a desk mic instead.

If a mic is a must and you have money to spare then the Beyerdynamic MX300 would be awesome.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
What are your thoughts on wireless headsets? Are they worth the extra money for the convenience of having no extra cables everywhere?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I'm a bit put off by wireless headsets. A lot of reviews seem to state there's occasional buzzing sounds, etc and a lot of the time you need to spend one heck of a lot more than the wired version to get the same quality sound. The only time I'd go wireless was if I was couch gaming and was sat quite far away from the screen. Personally I think at a desk 1 wire isn't too big of an issue :)