Heat issues 5950X and 240mm AIO

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
----------edit to make this quote shorter------------
I'm going to use the above in my own posts from now on. It should help keep the Forum bandwidth a bit more under control! :D :D :D

Thanks for the reply @DMC - from the sounds of it - a cooler upgrade will keep you happy and keep your system life long too. (y)

You know though, all this conversation has got me wondering if it wouldn't better to ------edit to make this quote shorter-------

(It works! (y):D)

• Haha
Reactions: DMC

DMC

hehehe ... just throwing this last Q out there....what if the cpu was run at 95-100C what would the temp of the liquid in the AIO be..danger to the plastic and rubber or not?..and the mobo? ..seems strange that AMD would say that without any care for what it could do damage wise long term to other parts......or am I over thinking again

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Cooling works by removing ‘excess’ heat - which would otherwise allow for a further temperature increase at the CPU IHS if it wasn’t removed.

The CPU temperature becomes stable when the rate of energy being added to the CPU is the same as the energy that is being removed by the cooler - but the entire cooling system and the CPU do not need to at the same temperature for this to happen.

Remeber that the specific heat capacity of water or a similar cooling liquid is huge compared to the IHS and cooler plate material. So for the same energy added to both - the temperature increase for water will be a small fraction of the temperature increase at the IHS.

As long as the radiator and fans are adequately dissipating the heat energy contained within the cooling loop then the liquid will settle at its own stable temperature too - which will be well below your CPU temp. Most info I have found says anywhere from 30 for a high quality AIO to a max of 60 degrees C for a cooler which is running at its max capacity on a toasty CPU.

Reactions: DMC

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If only someone had recommended a better case... better cooler.... and removing the OC 😇

What do I know though :p

Advice would still stand really. If the X71 can take the 360mm RAD then the 150i would be a VAST improvement. Even if it can't, the H115 XT or Capellix would have you covered.

Regardless, I would remove the OC. To get the most out of it it needs to be manually fine tuned. It takes DAYS of fettling with to get right and this is not the sort of time that's going to be invested by a company. They will be using pre-determined safe margins to create the OC and thus won't be precisely matched to your component set.

The STRIX will also not hold the voltages as firmly as the HERO would so I would definitely recommend removing it and going with AMD's AI which is fantastic.

Run a set of real world tests with the OC on, and then repeat with the OC off. Make sure it's at least an hour long and typical to your daily runnings. This will show you what it's likely to cost you over time. If it's too much, then fair enough..... I wouldn't be surprised if you got a thermal related benefit though.

DMC

I did follow your advice..changed the case.....and the case u recomended was for none OC..as i said so couldn't pick it..and the ram speed for the amount wasn't on offer too..and last the Hero III hasen't been in stock this whole time..so kinda a unicorn item like graphics cards atm
...also phoned and to cancel would of taken days to get my money back and well hassle is hassle...hehe..but as to ending up with a dif cooler and case..i was going to get the H500M then, but when i went to look..typical out of stock missed by like a hour..so thought quick pick something anything but the X71 as u said did not benefit me getting that, so went with the H500..and when i went to go next..it said can't support the 280 H115i..so it was late and i said stuff it..pick something that works for now..and hell...... with the way i saw peeps waiting for ages for their builds didn't think mine was gonna get built for days more if not weeks, and ill have time to pick the H500M case or any case that can take a 280rad...long story short..the next morning they have sent me 2 emails saying they have finished making my rig....on one hand i thought great i get a rig in super fast time and the other, im sure the rad i got with better fans etc will do the trick..the case is great and I'm glade i didn't go with the X71..so thankyou sir for that..also the H500 can take a 280 or even 360 at the frount...so a new AIO is whats on the cards atm..also we have sorted out OC wise..it best to keep it for what I do..and the temps are not that bad for these AMD..but pos best i get to know how to under clock etc for peace of mind when summer comes even with the new AIO...but cheers again for everyones help and patients with my noob Q's.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The H500 is an excellent case, highly recommended. The TD500 would probably have done better for sizing etc. If you had fed back on your thread I would have helped out :)

With regards to the OC, I would still check it out. You may find you don't get any benefit at all given the current setup. If loading up all the cores for extended times then an OC will definitely help, but it would need to be properly fine tuned to get the most out of the H100X. The paste was a big mistake as it's a complete guess as to how it's been applied. Even just getting some paste and re-applying it yourself may see some benefits.

For as long as I've been here CPU pasting has always been one of the issues with build quality in my eyes. I would hope that the original paste of the H100X was removed before it's application but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

DMC

ill find out soon....just now need to make my mind up... on one hand a .....phanteks Glacier One 360MP with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste as phanteks Paste sucks going from reviews. or a ....Corsair H150i Elite Capellix with the ICUE commander thingy..kinda handy.

and before u say don't remove the pre applied paste again...U NOOB!.. the Glacier One dosen't have pre applied paste..but some pics show it having it..weird i'm going from over clockers product pics that shows a tube of paste (PHANTEKS PH-NDC THERMAL COMPOUND)

oh and the TD500 def was not in stock at the time..shame they don't just gray out not in stock cases so one can see the full range. but yes would of been an option as the H500M was out of stock.

Attachments

• HS01EPT_270338_750x750.jpg
    HS01EPT_270338_750x750.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
ill find out soon....just now need to make my mind up... on one hand a .....phanteks Glacier One 360MP with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste as phanteks Paste sucks going from reviews. or a ....Corsair H150i Elite Capellix with the ICUE commander thingy..kinda handy.

and before u say don't remove the pre applied paste again...U NOOB!.. the Glacier One dosen't have pre applied paste..but some pics show it having it..weird i'm going from over clockers product pics that shows a tube of paste (PHANTEKS PH-NDC THERMAL COMPOUND)

oh and the TD500 def was not in stock at the time..shame they don't just gray out not in stock cases so one can see the full range. but yes would of been an option as the H500M was out of stock.
I don't know what the paste is like on the Phanteks to suggest if it would be decent even if it came pre-applied. I know that the Corsair paste is fine though as they have used a decent paste for years. I genuinely think that is why they are constantly good performers, it relies less on the user implimentation.

When people review with different pastes in their rigs I always feel it's a bit of a minefield of information. If it's done right, it'll be great, if not though..... it could be awful.

I've had my fair share of paste jobs over the years. I've done some right howlers myself so I know how easy it is to get wrong. Fortunately, the down side is never costly.... it's just a pain to put right.