Hello! ... and clutching at straws

Steve Hewitt

Please bear in mind I'm not PC savvy, despite many years developing back-end software on unix and - an age giveaway - VME. I've just ordered a new PC, an i5-9600K replacing an i7-3770. While I'm happy to reinstall everything once the new toy arrives, I have a problem with my old version of Adobe Lightroom. My original disk (if I can find it) is version 4 and I have been using v4.4, the last one published before Adobe withdrew support and I am struggling to find a download source for either, so even if I find the original disk, I'm not sure my thousands of edited photos will be compatible with v4. Is it at all possible to simply copy all of the v4.4 components or even to put the old C: HDD into the new PC as a second drive and run it from there? I expect that installation of this kind of software is specific to the PC hardware, especially the CPU, so this would not work. All the same, I'd like to be certain it won't work before I pay for an alternative photo editor.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Can you post your PCS specification from your order page please.

Any reason why you havent updated to later versions of LR - Adobe's photography package at only £9.98 a month is really good value as you also get Photoshop included.

I did find this though in the Adobe forum that might be of some use - although I would not recommend using any of the links in there that are not directly from Adobe in case of any viruses etc.

Solved: Lightroom 4.4 - Download page or url - Adobe Support Community - 10775339

Steve Hewitt

Thanks for replying. I don't want to commit to £120 each year for Lightroom; it includes lots of features that I would never use and for me, it just isn't worth it. If I change to something else, maybe for less than £200 for a single payment license, I will archive all my old edited photos as .jpg, plus the original RAW files and start again for new stuff.

I'm downloading from your link as I type; I won't try installing it yet in case it interferes with my current installation. I'll let you know in a few weeks if it works. It certainly looks more likely than anything else I have found online.

This is the spec - please don't laugh, I was aiming to improve a bit on my eight year old PC without breaking the bank. I'm not a serious gamer, mainly Eve Online, which as far as I can tell isn't very graphics-hungry. I've had some display timeout issues recently and I intend to run three Eve clients later this year. While the display issue might be PSU-related, I just fancied something a bit quicker with the OS on an M.2 card and a bigger graphics card. By the way, I will lift the 1Tb SSD drive from the current PC and put that in the new one, possibly also the old 1Tb HDD reformatted as a third internal drive. For now, I'll stick with the old monitor, AOC I2367FH 23" WIDESCREEN IPS TFT - 1920 x 1080, 5MS; it has been ok so far though I might think about replacing it.

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 275Q QUIET CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9600K (3.7 GHz) 9 MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z390-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ RX 550 - HDMI, DVI - DX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 665p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2000MB/sR | 1925MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.0 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK270 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO