Hello from Cobbs

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Hey all,

Suppose I too should add a post on here so here goes...

Well funnily enough, my real name isn't actually Cobblers, it's Peter. Cobblers is purely my online nickname and this is due to my old hometown of Northampton, who's main trade was shoes and people who fixed said shoes (AKA a Cobbler). The local football team is also nicknamed "The Cobblers", but I didn't want to go with "The Cobblers" for as my online nickname for fear it would make me appear a little pretentious, as I'm sure there are plenty of other Cobblers' out there.

That said, I find some of your names quite amusing and do wonder what your parents were thinking when they named you, but at least MrWilson got a proper surname... but his parents obviously didn't have time or the decision making capabilities to give him a first name, but I like to think he would have suited 'Owen'

Been gaming since I was 5/6 years old - if not sooner. I am now 44 and it's all been time well spent, bar the odd game or exception. First memorable machine was a Commodore 64, then Amiga and afterwards onto the mighty PC! I have owned consoles before and whilst they are cool and all I'll be honest and say they aren't really my thing. If I had to choose then XBOX or PS - but what do I know.

The main reason for using a PC is for gaming purposes; mainly FPS games (more historically) as tactical FPS are a thing of the past these days. I loved Ghost Recon (original version) for the PC. Have played WoW for a number of years, but given that up since Burning Crusade. Very much like strategy games, Total War and the like... Football Manager series of games too... and anything else that takes my fancy.

For work I'm in sales and currently working from home.... which actually suits me fine as working on a PC all day means I can bash out a lot of activity (good activity I should add) in a much faster rate than many of my colleagues. And by sales, I'm no door-to-door sales guy (nothing wrong with that as such bar the feeling that often gives to people) it's very consultative and there to help people and not take their money. Put it this way, if an Inuit was to meet me I'd not sell him snow, but a warm jacket and a pair of winter boots.

Enjoy sports, Footy mainly (Man Utd and The Cobblers are my favs.... there are plenty of others, but I don't really spend much time on them these days like I used to.

That's about it from me, hopefully gives you a basic idea of me, PC's and gaming interest. Cheers!

MrWilson

Godlike
That said, I find some of your names quite amusing and do wonder what your parents were thinking when they named you, but at least MrWilson got a proper surname... but his parents obviously didn't have time or the decision making capabilities to give him a first name, but I like to think he would have suited 'Owen'
Wow, jumping to conclusions I see. Alas I do not have the capabilities of some my namesakes. I lack the wit and insanity to be named Wade, the bluster and self confidence to be title Rebel, and the commanding presence to be called Woodrow. Perhaps, given my enthusiasm for the rules, Rainn might be an appropriate moniker, after his exemplary portrayal of Dwight.
Alternatively, with the lack of knowledge between my ears I may instead be descended from Castaway’s beloved ball.

Stephen M

Author Level
From Northampton and supports Manchester United... to be fair, you’re from further north than most Utd fans I know 😜
I am not in a position to say much about those who follow a team a bit further north from where they live. Last time I checked the distance from my house in Gloucestershire to Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir it was 364 miles.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Well I was born in Wellington, New Zealand, so not sure I should be supporting either of them. :unsure:

@MrWilson - capabilities appear to be pretty good from your reply! :)

I am not in a position to say much about those who follow a team a bit further north from where they live. Last time I checked the distance from my house in Gloucestershire to Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir it was 364 miles.

So presuming you have Scottish family then?

Stephen M

Author Level
No, my lot been around the South West a few hundred years, although the family name is originally Belgian Hugenot.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Jeez - so why that football team then?

By the way, have you ever done an ancestry DNA test? I did mine a couple of years back and surprising what it comes up with.

Stephen M

Author Level
Think was as the name sounded good and there is a place near me called Stonehouse. Never followed football much when young, Gloucestershire was mainly rugby but then was at a school in Hampshire and as all my mates had a team thought I should pick one.

Many years later found out two of my best friends I had met at cricket also followed Stenny. We decided to go to a game, although only one just to say we had been there. Had a great weekend, made very welcome by everyone at club and all the locals in the pub we stayed at, so were planning a second trip before we left.

It just grew from there. My best friend was forced to sell the family business when he and his dad both got cancer. My mate did well, with stem cell treatment got another 15+ years and he made sure he enjoyed it. His company had always sponsored local sport, especially youth teams and he carried on helping local sports but also became a board member at Stenny.

I still help run a fan club called Warriors Abroad (our club nickname is the Warriors) and the only qualification to join this is to be a Stenny fan but you must live outside Scotland. We have members around the world, including about 50 from Norway.

KippleKat

Enthusiast
👋 Interesting facts about Cobblers! :)

My forum name is a combination of two things I like. Cats and Kipple (AKA stuff. As defined by the science fiction author Philip K Dick). Northampton isn't a bad neck of the woods. I'm a bit further north up Derbyshire way.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
50 from Norway, that's cracking! Fair play to your best friend, being a board member of any footy club is a big achievement in anyone's book.

Northampton, as you will know, is more of a Rugby town than Football. I've been to see the Saints play a few times and I'll admit the atmosphere and attitude of the supporters are extremely good. Such a nice level of banter in the crowd.

Hmm, I should really go and support a local Dudley team, but there's not much to choose from locally. Dudley FC actually play out of Wolverhampton and I can not be bothered for the drive.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
👋 Interesting facts about Cobblers! :)

My forum name is a combination of two things I like. Cats and Kipple (AKA stuff. As defined by the science fiction author Philip K Dick). Northampton isn't a bad neck of the woods. I'm a bit further north up Derbyshire way.

I do love Derbyshire... I believe my ancient ancestors were all from there. Some lovely countryside to boot!

Ah so your real name isn't KippleKat ;)

Stephen M

Author Level
The great thing with cats is you never know where they will go, my last two were sisters, one hardly ever left the garden while the other used to wander all over the place.

Luckily on a fairly quiet estate so if have a cat that decides to stay local it is quite safe.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
I feed ours some pretty good grub and they are always home for dinner of an evening, it's a formula that seems to work. But yes, if you ever do get one of those Maine Coon cats send plenty of pics please!

Stephen M

Author Level
I feed ours some pretty good grub and they are always home for dinner of an evening, it's a formula that seems to work. But yes, if you ever do get one of those Maine Coon cats send plenty of pics please!
Will do and if I am lucky enough to get him/her to sit in it will do one from my Prisoner Ball Chair, will probably be big enough to fill it.

KippleKat

Enthusiast
I do love Derbyshire... I believe my ancient ancestors were all from there. Some lovely countryside to boot!

Ah so your real name isn't KippleKat ;)
Tis a lovely part of the world. I moved up here 5 years ago from Hampshire because I am one of those lucky people who can work from anywhere, so I thought why not! I love going out for walks in the peak district when I'm not glued to my desk.