Hello :)

Cobblers

Enthusiast
LMAO "couldn't keep up"...

I always used to like IT lessons at school in my early to mid teens and would always know more than the teacher - who more often that not was working out of a manual themselves. Remember how popular "Dummies for...." used to be back in the day?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I haven't actually filmed them doing it before, it involves lots of high pitched bird screaming noises and running. They're in their own lockdown at the moment and can't get out of their covered chicken run due to avian influenza outbreaks in the UK at the moment. DEFRAS orders. When they are allowed out again, hopefully the end of March I'll have to try and film them running to the back door for food. 😅 Slow mo is usually the funniest way to watch them.

Welcome! Hopefully you don't have to wait much longer for your new computer. :)

I'm still a massive geek, I'm someone who creates spreadsheets for 'fun' and like to know how everything works 😅 Geeks just diversify their portfolios nowadays into other things, like chickens!

When I was 12 I was the only girl in the entire school that wanted to join the engineering club. The teacher running it was so shocked he asked me if I wanted to do separate activities to the boys in case I couldn't understand/keep up :sneaky: There were lots of jokes and the boys didn't know how to talk to me, but I soon broke the ice with the CAD project we worked on where we were asked to make door knobs out of wood and I spelt knob wrong 😆
I was a member of the computer club and used to play D&D sessions on sundays with the geography teacher and a few others at prep school. We were mercilessly bullied because of this, so I eventually quit both of them and didn’t really get back into computing until about a decade later after school.

Im so pleased things have changed.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I was a member of the computer club and used to play D&D sessions on sundays with the geography teacher and a few others at prep school. We were mercilessly bullied because of this, so I eventually quit both of them and didn’t really get back into computing until about a decade later after school.

I suppose I used to be considered ‘cool’ at school, I was in all the sports teams, played guitar in a band and grew facial hair early enough that I could get served in a pub at the age of 15. But I was always secretly a bit jealous of the kids who’d use one of the classrooms after hours to play Dungeons and Dragons or Warhammer, they looked like they were having so much fun!

I’m glad I’ve let my inner geek come out as I’ve matured. Still (regrettably) have never played D&D, though...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I remember people playing DnD back in the day, but didn't quite get it at the time.

Funny, as my wife used to give me a hard time about my (admittedly excessive) WoW gaming days.... until she played it and then became as bad as me :) We're both interested in getting a real DnD set and playing it as a family.
D&D is awesome, the books are so cleverly written from one to the next.

That's what I admire so much about D&D / WoW, it's the attention to detail of the lore and universe, so meticulously followed from one game/book to the next with references back at various stages. So clever!

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Yeah I can go with that... as well as the players ability to know so much of the lore and what is spot on or otherwise. I'm not as far down that rabbit hole (I think gladly), but love the content.

*Idea* New thread incoming...

KippleKat

Enthusiast
LMAO "couldn't keep up"...

I always used to like IT lessons at school in my early to mid teens and would always know more than the teacher - who more often that not was working out of a manual themselves. Remember how popular "Dummies for...." used to be back in the day?
I remember my junior school had one computer for the whole school and we'd get allocated time every month to use it to play some weird eco-learning game about a badger...

Secondary school didn't get much better, IT room with about 30 computers. We soon learnt how to send rude messages around the room to pop up on each others screens when the teacher was coming round.

I imagine schools now have a laptop for every student and stuff.

I never got into D&D. I keep meaning to join in with my friends. I do like a good board game though, my Christmas purchase was Mansions of Madness, I've just finished painting the miniatures ready for some eldritch horror!
Some chicken ideas for you @KippleKat

And happy chickens....

I'll stop now before I spend the evening watching "happy chicken" videos.
Funnily enough we have that yellow chicken swing and one of them does use it. It took forever to see one use the thing, the others are scared of it. 😅

Adorable videos, mine run to me like the bottom video if I hold a grape. They have such good eye sight they can tell if you're pretending to hold food or not, if you don't have anything they instantly don't love you anymore. 😏

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
This whole thread makes me happy. I'm pretty much THE classic stereotypical nerd - not particularly confident, more than a little socially awkward, pretty much can't talk to women in person - I'm not sure what the male equivalent to the crazy cat lady is, but that is pretty much my future.

tenor.gif

Saying that, when talking about video games, I guess I'm in my comfort zone and so feel much more confident, less socially awkward and probably could talk to women in person if they wanted to talk about games.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This whole thread makes me happy. I'm pretty much THE classic stereotypical nerd - not particularly confident, more than a little socially awkward, pretty much can't talk to women in person - I'm not sure what the male equivalent to the crazy cat lady is, but that is pretty much my future.

tenor.gif

Saying that, when talking about video games, I guess I'm in my comfort zone and so feel much more confident, less socially awkward and probably could talk to women in person if they wanted to talk about games.
Completely relate, you're definitely not alone :love:

Cobblers

Enthusiast
Adorable videos, mine run to me like the bottom video if I hold a grape. They have such good eye sight they can tell if you're pretending to hold food or not, if you don't have anything they instantly don't love you anymore. 😏

Huh, so they are pretty smart then? I do love animals, with two dogs and three cats it's a petting zoo at at my house.

tenor.gif

Pretty sure you've said what you want and need... so a Gamer girl it is for you. There must be dating sites for this very thing. You come across as perfectly confident and normal on here so just need to transition that IRL. Play to your strengths!

KippleKat

Enthusiast
Huh, so they are pretty smart then? I do love animals, with two dogs and three cats it's a petting zoo at at my house.

Pretty sure you've said what you want and need... so a Gamer girl it is for you. There must be dating sites for this very thing. You come across as perfectly confident and normal on here so just need to transition that IRL. Play to your strengths!
They're super smart! 'Despite what you think chickens are not stupid' BBC Article