Help out Stanford University research a cure

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

This is obviously being quite heavily promoted at the moment.

The background is that Stanford University School of Medicine in the States setup folding@home in the early 2000's. It's a distributed computing project that shares resources from the customers computer which they're not using such as CPU and GPU power. It runs in the background and won't affect the user in anyway, it only takes resources that aren't being utilised. You can set it to be running whilst you're using the computer, or only when it's not being used.

This power is then utilised by the university to run protein folding simulations to work out cures for various viruses. The more resources they have, the quicker they're able to run the simulations and hopefully find a cure. Obviously at the moment, this is quite a valuable resource if you feel open to joining.

It's fully legit and you can remain fully anonymous, or create an account in which case you build up points (although I'm not sure what these can be used for).

I've installed it on all the PC's in the house and other than increased fans on my laptop (because I've set mine to use as much spare resource as possible, highest setting), you wouldn't know it's running.

If you've got any kind of thermal issues, I'd suggest only running it on Low setting.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm spectacularly cautious about things like this - especially now.

The domain name is registered to GoDaddy, which is strange for a University and could in fact be anyone.
The IP address is registered to an entity called SLIAC in St Louis MO - a long way from Stanford CA.
A search of the Stanford University directory confirms that Vijay Pande does exist - he's an Adjunct Professor of Bio-engineering. So I've emailed him to confirm that this is kosher.

I'm sure it's all good but if I get a reply I'll report back.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm spectacularly cautious about things like this - especially now.

The domain name is registered to GoDaddy, which is strange for a University and could in fact be anyone.
The IP address is registered to an entity called SLIAC in St Louis MO - a long way from Stanford CA.
A search of the Stanford University directory confirms that Vijay Pande does exist - he's an Adjunct Professor of Bio-engineering. So I've emailed him to confirm that this is kosher.

I'm sure it's all good but if I get a reply I'll report back.
It is fully legit, has been well known for years, it's a sister project to SETI@Home which was going until recently to research alien sightings.

Dr Pande is on their books and website: https://profiles.stanford.edu/vijay-pande

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On the subject of nefarious characters taking advantage of the Cornavirus issue, it turns out that an awful lot of the epidemic maps actually host malware, so be safe.

One that's very good and reputable is the John Hopkins University one here:

I would advise avoiding any others, although from a brief search, it does appear that Google have cracked down on most of the offending sites that were up.