Help, please help Outlook password box horror on two laptops

ohdearme

Hello All

My wife and I have a laptop each and the password box on all our email accounts is relentlessly popping up on both. On and on and on.

Emails are not coming in or going out. Nothing has been changed (As far as I know)

What to do, please help.

Keep well

Bhuna50

Author Level
Are these, or one of them at least a PCS laptop? If so could you just post your spec on here please and then we can help you.

If they are not, then ask at Toms Hardware forums and someone should be able to assist you there.

Thanks,

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Some of the ISP are tightening security & you have to get a special password, which is why I asked the question in my previous post

D

Deleted member 17413

Would I be right in guessing you are using Windows 10, and the built in mail client?
You give it the email address and password to link an account and away you go?

Is it a iCloud email?...

Guessing aside, need to know what email service you are trying to connect, and what you are connecting it to/adding it to.

Rakk

The Awesome
Are these, or one of them at least a PCS laptop? If so could you just post your spec on here please and then we can help you.

If they are not, then ask at Toms Hardware forums and someone should be able to assist you there.
FYI we are allowed to help with pure software/ISP issues whether it is a PCS machine or not, its only if any hardware stuff needs to be investigated that we cant really help much if its not a PCS machine

Bhuna50

Author Level
FYI we are allowed to help with pure software/ISP issues whether it is a PCS machine or not, its only if any hardware stuff needs to be investigated that we cant really help much if its not a PCS machine
oops sorry - guess I scared this one off :D

ohdearme

Thanks so much for replying quickly.

I'm not very au fait with computers, sorry I do not know what a PCS is. My wife's Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 305, mine an Asus C552C.
Our email provider is talk talk.
My office is 2013.
Thank you Martin, I don't think anything has changed my password. I knowof nothing that has changed. (except this problem)
Yes, correct Windows 10, MS OUtlook version 2013.
Have I given information that is helpful?
Grateful
Alan

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

I'm not very au fait with computers, sorry I do not know what a PCS is. My wife's Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 305, mine an Asus C552C.
My office is 2013.
Thank you Martin, I don't think anything has changed my password. I knowof nothing that has changed. (except this problem)
Grateful
Alan

Hi Alan,

The best course of action would definitely to be contacting TalkTalk.

If the password box has suddenly started appearing, it's due to the password being stored on the laptop being different from the actual email password. If you haven't changed this password then there is a high probability that your email has been hacked. If you have a shared email with your Wife then this would further suggest this to be the case.

If you contact TalkTalk they should be able to put a freeze on your email and generate a new password. You will need to warn any friends/colleagues that you send emails to that you have been compromised, if that is the case. You way want to think about an entirely new email address altogether as heaven knows what you may have been signed up to.

Anyway, long story short. Call TalkTalk to ensure the security of your email. Be sure to use a strong password with symbols, numbers and something not easily guessed or related to the email address itself. Cybercrime is going through the roof right now with Covid.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

My office is 2013.
Grateful
Alan
Hi Alan

I was having a similar problem last year, and after much hunting that sky had upped security and bought in a new password policy which required a machine specific password to access email via outlook or other similar apps on a pc, which they would generate for me from a specific page on their website, I'd have a guess that talk, talk have done similar, so i'd check the help pages on the talk talk website.

ohdearme

Right. It's all ok now and I wish to thank everyone.

I rang talk talk who told me that they cannot get into Outlook as Outlook is Microsoft and they gave me their number.
After half an hour of of a man "taking over" my laptop and doing it himself, he said that I had not been hacked into as suggested above and
said something about other "sources" changing my password. (I think that's what he said)

I didn't ask him to explain further, would anyone be able to suggest what happened.

Thanks again so much for your help and keep well.
Alan

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Right. It's all ok now and I wish to thank everyone.

I rang talk talk who told me that they cannot get into Outlook as Outlook is Microsoft and they gave me their number.
After half an hour of of a man "taking over" my laptop and doing it himself, he said that I had not been hacked into as suggested above and
said something about other "sources" changing my password. (I think that's what he said)

I didn't ask him to explain further, would anyone be able to suggest what happened.

Thanks again so much for your help and keep well.
Alan
Who did you call? Have you got a number?

ohdearme

Cetainly, I rang microsoft on 0344 800 2400. This is from Edgware Middlesex, UK. I 'm not sure if the number changes re the area you live in.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cetainly, I rang microsoft on 0344 800 2400. This is from Edgware Middlesex, UK. I 'm not sure if the number changes re the area you live in.
Good, just checking that's a valid number, that is legit.

What they're saying is that possibly someone else on the account reset the password without telling you, or if you use the same account with windows, perhaps you changed the windows password not realising it's all the same account.