Help Please

nantucket

This my first entry so hello to everybody.

To probably all of you my request is very simple but being a complete blockhead I just cant seem to get the hang of
it, namely transferring a movie from my windows media player to my USB stick.

I have been into shops and asked for help and unfortunetly its complete gobblydook to me what they are saying, although all have been very helpful. Words like rip burn validate the path mean absolutely nothing to me, imagine if you can explaining it to a 6 year old and I just might get it, anyway enough
moaning, can you help????????:surrender:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Does this movie have any form of copy protection on it?

Do you know where it is located on your machine, as in the folder it is in?

It depends where you got the move from and 100 other things, but if you can locate the file you should be able to copy it wherever you want.

nantucket

Thanks for your reply, no the film has no protection on it, the film is located in my download file together with a lot of speeches I keep, I listen to them on a regular basis, they seem allright. The film seems to start as in a separate window opens then it closes almost

immediately. I have downloaded YLC but the same thing happens with that, although my speeches come out ok. The man in the shop suggested I transfer it to my USB stick but after that he lost me!

I have a Samsung N102 Slim/N102 SP which I bought about 6 years ago it has Windows 7 Starter

mrducking

Bright Spark
what is the extension of the file you want to play? (extension is the ending of the file *.exe, *.rar, *.dat, *.doc)
how big is the file? does it have video or only audio?
does any kind message appear after/when/during it closes?

Hugh

Sadly copying it to a USB stick on its own won't help. The guy who gave you that "advice" probably meant "Copy it to a USB stick and plug the USB stick into your Smart TV, which I assume has a USB port and is capable of playing movies off a stick inserted into said port." Remember, the guy in the shop works in retail. He may have some smattering of knowledge that puts him on a par with what is now the majority of the populous, but he's really there to sell things or reinstall Windows (which is to programming as washing a window is to building.) From time to time you'll find someone in a computer shop who knows what they're talking about, but they won't be there for long.

Stick with Mr. Ducking, he's on a good diagnostic path.

There will be trouble if my mother-in-law ever again says "but the man in the shop said..."

nantucket

Again many thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in replying but its taken an age today to get on the web plus I had football this morning. Mr. Ducking the extension is dat. How big? 12mb. audio and video. Its a film about WW2.
My wmp says its not supporting the file OR it says its not supporting the codec. I told that to the man and he suggested vlc which tells me the same as wmp. You were right about the stick I have a tv that will take it, I have put the stick into the pc and it shows all the stuff I have taped from the tv onto the pc, I just want it to go the opposite way.

Again many thanks to all repliers. Appreciate it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Again many thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in replying but its taken an age today to get on the web plus I had football this morning. Mr. Ducking the extension is dat. How big? 12mb. audio and video. Its a film about WW2.
My wmp says its not supporting the file OR it says its not supporting the codec. I told that to the man and he suggested vlc which tells me the same as wmp. You were right about the stick I have a tv that will take it, I have put the stick into the pc and it shows all the stuff I have taped from the tv onto the pc, I just want it to go the opposite way.

Again many thanks to all repliers. Appreciate it.

.dat is actually a data file. Have you had it a long time? Are you sure it's a video file?

Androcles

Rising Star
DAT is a file extension used in the Microsoft Windows Operating System to mean "data". In video the DAT extension is usually used to store MPEG-1 encoded video on VCD or SVCD discs (the predecessors of DVD). You will have to convert it to a useable format like Mpeg, MOV or MP4 to be able to play it through the USB on a smart TV, there a quite a few programmes you can download to do this.