Help using Macrium Reflect - restore image file

jonbam

Enthusiast
Hi

I have a 8week old image file made by Macrium Reflect.

If I load Macrium Reflect and click on the restore image, will it restore my computer to the older version?

Will I need to use any boot startup software?

thanks

Jonathan

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've never tried a restore that way. I always use the Macrium boot disk which you can create from Macrium Reflect itself. I'm not sure how Windows will react to having a new disk image written whilst it's running....

Edit: I've also written the Macrium boot image to my external hard disk, so I just boot the external hard drive if I want to do a restore.

jonbam

Enthusiast
I have a usb hard disk with Macrium image files on it. Will I be able to make this drive bootable using the Macrium bootfile creator .

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
have you used a USB data stick as the bootup drive?

No, but I have used a USB attached hard drive.

I assume you can boot from a USB hard disk?

Yes you can, that's what I do.

I have a usb hard disk with Macrium image files on it. Will I be able to make this drive bootable using the Macrium bootfile creator .

Yes, that's what I've done. Because I'm an over-cautious type I copied the image files to a second hard disk before I wrote the boot files. As it turned out the image files were not affected by writing the Marcrium boot image to the hard disk. I'd suggest you back up your image files elsewhere as well though - just in case. :)

jonbam

Enthusiast
I have never been into the bios on my computer?
I assume I will need to set the boot order in the bios?

thanks

Jonatahn

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, when it's booting it should give a quick display of the bios access keys (usually Del or F12 for Bios or F10 for boot menu)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have never been into the bios on my computer?
I assume I will need to set the boot order in the bios?

thanks

Jonatahn

Yes, when it's booting it should give a quick display of the bios access keys (usually Del or F12 for Bios or F10 for boot menu)

On my Optimus IV pressing F7 on boot brings up the boot menu. I simply select the external hard drive (with the Macrium boot files on it) and hit Enter. No need to modify the BIOS at all.