Help with configuration

FunkyFlow

Hey guys, I am thinking of getting this laptop configuration (when it is in stock). I am planning on mostly gaming (and web browsing but I’m sure this laptop will handle it) so I was wondering whether this configuration is fine for new games (by “fine” I mean playing smoothly around medium settings)?
I know HDD is not best for games, especially new. I am planning on having new and demanding games at the SSD slot and some old games (like Warcraft 3 etc.) in the HDD slot, would that work well?
Another question, how is the temperature with this configuration? Is it really necessary to get a cooling stand or will I be able to play around 1.5 hours with more or less decent temperatures (not exceeding the maximum recommended temperature)? Thank you in advance!

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 10750H (2.6GHz, 5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Optimus Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

Charlas

Enthusiast
If I was you I'd skip the 1tb drive, and just use a 1tb m2 if I was you, wouldn't be much cost difference, a d they do call em spinning rust for a reason 😉

FunkyFlow

Thank you very much! I’ll do that then. So will everything function normally if I won’t have the first storage drive and only have the m2 ssd slot?

Charlas

Enthusiast
No idea on temps for optimus chassis, but 17's have more space than 15's so should be fine I would think. Cooling stands all depends on what your planning on doing with it, some are good, some do nothing. Might be worth checking placement of the intakes on the chassis to see what stand would work best.

FunkyFlow

No idea on temps for optimus chassis, but 17's have more space than 15's so should be fine I would think. Cooling stands all depends on what your planning on doing with it, some are good, some do nothing. Might be worth checking placement of the intakes on the chassis to see what stand would work best.
Got it, thank you very much! :)

Charlas

Enthusiast
No problems 😊

Having looked at the pics, seems intakes exhaust might be on side and back, not 100% sure, there's bound to be some space on the base for intake, but as for how much benefit the cooler pad would give you might depends on the amount of air it moves up and around the sides at the rear where the intake ports look to be (unless they are speaker ports?) might be worth asking PCS there thoughts?

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
A small suggestion would be to drop the BullGuard security trial and either just use Windows Defender (+ malwarebytes) or download one of the higher rated free antiviruses. Both would be better options.

With regards to cooling stands, I watched a test with several different gaming laptops and there was hardly any difference between using a cooling stand and simply raising the back of the laptop to aid airflow. Personally I don't think they're worth it.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Didn't even look at the software, obv I haven't even got Windows being installed, and agree one of the best AV on the market at the moment is the one MS ship native (defender) , so stick with that.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
With regards to cooling stands, I watched a test with several different gaming laptops and there was hardly any difference between using a cooling stand and simply raising the back of the laptop to aid airflow. Personally I don't think they're worth it.

I would disagree. On my own PCS laptop (and in the summer heat of Crete) a decent cooling stand reduced my average temps by 4 deg C compared with just propping the back up.

It's perfectly true that ensuring a clean airflow is important but for the minimal cost of a decent cooling stand the difference they make is well worth it.

The problem with all review and comparison sites is that everyone has an agenda. Its all to easy to produce results that confirm what you expected to see...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Charlas

Enthusiast
I would disagree. On my own PCS laptop (and in the summer heat of Crete) a decent cooling stand reduced my average temps by 4 deg C compared with just propping the back up.

It's perfectly true that ensuring a clean airflow is important but for the minimal cost of a decent cooling stand the difference they make is well worth it.

The problem with all review and comparison sites is that everyone has an agenda. Its all to easy to produce results that confirm what you expected to see...

Never tried a cooling pad, usually just have the laptop stood on its dock 'back up' for easy port access and it usually has decent airflow then. When using on the move obviously a cooling pad adds weight, so deffo don't lump something else around.

But yeah, if you want to try it, then like I said ask PC's what they think, as they will know the best one for the cooling inputs of the devices.

CinnamonCakes

Silver Level Poster
Guys OP IS using MOLASSES slow RAM, while intel is not as sensitive as AMD to ram speed 2133 is unacceptable at this price.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Guys OP IS using MOLASSES slow RAM, while intel is not as sensitive as AMD to ram speed 2133 is unacceptable at this price.
If youvre going to quote someone's post then it's good manners at the very least to ensure that your reply makes some reference to it.

Via Tapatalk

CinnamonCakes

Silver Level Poster
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting this laptop configuration (when it is in stock). I am planning on mostly gaming (and web browsing but I’m sure this laptop will handle it) so I was wondering whether this configuration is fine for new games (by “fine” I mean playing smoothly around medium settings)?
I know HDD is not best for games, especially new. I am planning on having new and demanding games at the SSD slot and some old games (like Warcraft 3 etc.) in the HDD slot, would that work well?
Another question, how is the temperature with this configuration? Is it really necessary to get a cooling stand or will I be able to play around 1.5 hours with more or less decent temperatures (not exceeding the maximum recommended temperature)? Thank you in advance!

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 10750H (2.6GHz, 5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Optimus Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Bump up the RAM speed to the fastest available option. It affects FPS, I was told, when I was ordering my system.
If youvre going to quote someone's post then it's good manners at the very least to ensure that your reply makes some reference to it.

Via Tapatalk
oops I quoted you by mistake. I pressed reply to Your comment as opposed to the OP. Sorry🤧

Charlas

Enthusiast
Bump up the RAM speed to the fastest available option. It affects FPS, I was told, when I was ordering my system.

oops I quoted you by mistake. I pressed reply to Your comment as opposed to the OP. Sorry🤧
RAM does affect performance, however Intel isn't as sensitive as AMD is, but yeah I would stick to 2666 (or 2933 if supported/available)

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster

What cooling stand do you use? I'm trying to find one that provides at least some cooling. Ideally one that weighs less than 750g since otherwise it's heading deep into non-portable territory.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What cooling stand do you use? I'm trying to find one that provides at least some cooling. Ideally one that weighs less than 750g since otherwise it's heading deep into non-portable territory.
It's an Avantek with two large fans. IMO two large fans are much better (and more reliable) than several small fans. You also want one with an aluminium grid on which the laptop sits. A metal grid disperses heat faster than a plastic one.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
It's an Avantek with two large fans. IMO two large fans are much better (and more reliable) than several small fans. You also want one with an aluminium grid on which the laptop sits. A metal grid disperses heat faster than a plastic one.

Unfortunately that brand isn't available in the UK as far as I can tell. Amazon has one, but it's shipped from the US, so costs a lot. I've tried a Klim with 2 large fans, but it provided no cooling at all. I've also got a Teknet with 3 fans, but it's badly designed - two fans towards the front of the laptop, away from the intake vents. Still, it manages to provide about half a degree of cooling, which makes it infinitely superior to the Klim. I'd like to try others, but it's a hassle to keep ordering from Amazon only to have to send them back.