Help with new PC set up

Skdaly1

Hi

We set up PC santa brought today and it is working but we have a couple of issues. Firstly the sound is coming from the AOC monitor but is very low even on full volume. We do have lots of cables left over is there something else we need to connect. Should we be using all cables supplied?

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
Hello @Skdaly1. You can adjust the volume from within Windows (using the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of your screen) and also using the buttons on your monitor. Have you done already tried both? It could be that you have the volume on max in Windows, but the volume setting on the monitor is on low (or vice versa, of course). Which AOC monitor model do you have?

Skdaly1

I have tried this. I have one cabke going from the monitor to PC (motherboard) and then just power cable. Is this all i need as i have other cables spare. I am sure they have some function🙈🙈

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
One cable is all that is needed for video and sound.

Bear in mind, built-in monitor speakers are generally not powerful so they will easily be outperformed by even cheap standalone speakers.

However, just to clarify things as they now stand:
1. In Windows you have the volume setting to maximum;
2. On the monitor itself, using its buttons, the volume setting on the monitor is also set to maximum
3. You can hear sound from the monitor's speakers, but it is very quiet

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
Hello @Skdaly1. Could you tell me the model number of your AOC monitor? It might help to see if there is a way forward to finding how to get better audio volume from it.

Skdaly1

This is my spec attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201226-144149_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201226-144149_Dropbox.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 182

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the spec.

Rather interestingly, I can see that your graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650) supports HDMI, as does your AOC monitor. However, you were sent a cable that has HDMI on one end, and DVI on the other.

I assume that the DVI end of the cable (which looks like a large white plug with a screw at either end) is connected to your AOC monitor?

Whilst both DVI and HDMI both support audio (i.e. they send both video and audio signals from the PC to the monitor), I would suggest, if possible, that a pure HDMI cable be used to connect your monitor to your PC (i.e. a cable with HDMI at both ends). It's possible that the low volume may be due to the cable converting the HDMI signal from your PC to a DVI signal for your monitor.

As an aside:
Your monitor also supports VGA cables, which is a very old and obsolete standard. VGA does not support audio, hence the additional audio cable that you have. In other words, you only need to use that additional audio cable if you were to connect the monitor to your PC using a VGA cable. As you are not using a VGA cable, you do not need to use that audio cable.

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This is my spec attached
Please post your specs as desribed in the link below as even with mine on i can't read that.........