Help with new PC

Lochanora

I have just ordered a new PC which will run Win 7 (64 bit). Will I have any problems with an old scanner which works well on my old machine (Win XP)?
Also how do I transfer my email contacts to the new PC?

steveuk87

Super Star
hmm you shouldnt do to be honest as Windows 7 has a massive driver base and if that doesnt have it the windows update should!! :)

as for email contacts i think there is a backup function or a function to save the address list.. you just need to find out where its saved to and copy it to a removeable drive :)

Steve

Gorman

Author Level
x64 support has come a long way in the last few years. As long as the device is supported by the maker i would be shocked if it didnt have x64 drivers availiable

Sleinous

Author Level
yes, if you;re using Windows Live Mail, there is an export function, if you;re using outlook, go into your contacts, and there will also be an export button to save all your contacts as a single file that you can move to your new computer and then import the same way as you exported. As steve said the win7 driver database is absolutely massive, it found my HP Deskjet 810C without any problems. (Way over 8 years old now).

Xavien

Enthusiast
Ive had some probs with old apps and stuff with win 7

Like nero 7 refused to work if youve ordered the pro or above version you can install win xp mode which can help with a few things. Most drivers have been updated so as long as it isnt to old you should be fine. Having said that i had a real laugh last weekend when i installed nuclear strike (the last desert strike game) which is really old and it worked on win 7 with no problems hehe