Help With Old Laptop - GPU Issues

Hello,

I have a Vortex laptop that was purchased in 2013 that I'm trying to keep going until some AMD CPU//RTX3000 combo laptops are released later this year (hopefully).

The laptop works well for the most part but, recently, the GPU (GTX 675MX) has stopped working. I get the following note on the display diagnostics "There is a problem with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX device. For more information, search for “graphics device driver error code 43”. I've tried updating the drivers via GeForce Experience but the installation doesn't complete and I get an error message saying the installation was unsuccessful.

After a bit of googling, it seems that the graphics card is dead or that possibly the BIOS is out of date. Looking at the system information, the BIOS version is American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.5 19/10/2012.

Is it possible that a BIOS update will jump start the GPU or has it likely failed following the years of use? I last repasted the card in summer 2020.

Thanks in advance for any help!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't see how the BIOS would suddenly cause the GPU to stop working. If it was working with that BIOS in the past then there's no reason why that BIOS should be a problem now.

Error code 43 is an unspecified error that is often hardware related. I know that on many laptops the dGPU and iGPU work hand-in-hand, the dGPU does the graphics processing and passes still images for the iGPU to display on screen. Check to see whether there is an iGPU driver update, check for chipset driver updates too. If that doesn't help, and as a last resort, I'd try a clean install of Windows and see whether that lets you install the dGPU driver.