Help with upgrade/fresh install of Win10

LanceC09

Hi guys, i need some help with this as when it comes to this type of stuff with computers something goes wrong haha.

So what should i do before the upgrade, what should i back up and with my Kaspersky internet security do i just uninstall it then go back to their website and reinstall it?
And what about programs/games i have on my laptop, will they still work when its upgraded to Win10?

If someone could give me some sort of step by step list of what to do and how to do it i would really appreciate it.

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4710MQ (2.50GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive NONE
2nd mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive NONE
RAID NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Carry Case NONE
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Stand-Alone Monitor NONE
Additional Keyboard NONE
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
External Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

At this point i dont know if i will be doing a fresh install of Win10 but i think i might as it would be nice to have a fresh start of everything.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The only way to install the free Windows 10 upgrade and have it activate is from a Windows 7/8/8.1 system that is itself activated. There are three ways of upgrading:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 and keep all your files and programs

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 and keep only your files (you'll have to reinstall all programs)

3. Upgrade to Windows 10 and keep nothing, i.e. a clean install (you'll have to install all programs and copy your data back from a backup).

For many people options 1 and 2 produce some problems (especially option 1). For some people programs don't run properly after upgrade or even at all. IMO option 3 is by far the most reliable, so that's the one I'll describe for you.

Here's a step by step list of what to do to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10.

1. Backup all your user data to an external hard drive.

2. Take a disk image of your existing Windows 7 system so you have an easy way back to where you are now. Use MAcrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) or similar. (This step is not essential but is highly recommended).

3. Logon to your account on the PCS main site and navigate to the Downloads section under Tech Support and see whether there are any BIOS updates or driver updates for Windows 10 and your build. If there are then download them all to a USB stick. (If you have a BIOS update to do you must do that separately and you should do it before anything else). Note: If there is no chipset driver available for Windows 10 and your build then download the chipset driver for Windows 8.1 and your build.

4. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, be sure to choose either 32-bit or 64-bit to match your current system.

5. Run the Media Creation Tool. Select "Create Installation Media For Another PC". This will allow you to make a bootable DVD or USB stick so you have installation media available to use again. Be sure to choose the correct language and edition on the next screen. Note: The edition of Windows 10 MUST match the edition of your Windows 7. So if you have Windows 7 Home Edition then you can only upgrade to Windows 10 Home Edition. Be sure to get the 32-bit or 64-bit version appropriate for your system.

6. Make a bootable DVD or a bootable USB stick from the downloaded iso file.

7. Whilst running Windows 7, insert the DVD or USB stick and navigate to it in File Explorer. Execute (double-click) the file Setup.exe and follow the instructions to upgrade to Windows 10.

8. When Windows 10 has booted connect to the Internet (if you can) and run Windows Update, it should find all the necessary drivers for your system. Any that it doesn't find you should install the ones downloaded from PCS manually. It is unlikely that Windows Update will install your chipset driver so you must usually install this manually. If there was no Windows 10 chipset driver available for your build install the Windows 8.1 chipset driver manually. (If you can't connect to the Internet install the chipset driver followed by the WLAN driver, you should then be able to connect).

9. Keep running Windows update until there are no more updates available. Do not be put off if some driver updates are marked as failed and then never selected again (this happened to me). For some drivers there appears to be a glitch in Windows Update such that the drivers are updated but he update itself is marked as failed. You can if you want check each device in Device Manager to check that the latest driver is installed.

10. You now have a clean and complete Windows 10 system. Now you need to reinstall all of your third party software, most of it will run, anything that doesn't may need an upgrade to the latest version.

11. Finally copy your user data back from the backup you took at the start.

If, for any reason, you're not happy with Windows 10, or stuff doesn't work for you, then the best way back is to restore the disk image you took in step 2. If you didn't do that slap yourself on the wrist, because then you'll need to use the Recovery option in Settings under Windows 10 to go back to the Windows 7 system you had.

That's it for me, others may have additional comments to make. :)

Last edited:

dogbot

Bright Spark
Reading your first line is enough. Personally I do not think you should install W10 for at least 6 months since it is by no means a finished product. Meanwhile, do some research on what others have encountered when installing W10.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have installed windows 10 several times (once during the preview) and have had no issues

I would also stress I have the same spec laptop and upgraded to Windows 10 on day of release with no issues whatsoever.

The only preparation I made (which came about after issues encountered with the preview build of windows 10) was to make sure all drivers and any AV solutions were on the latest versions before the upgrade.

The only issue I had was that a Win 10 version of the BT driver wasn't available at the time so BT didn't work, but there has been an updated driver put on PCS and I imagine the clevo website that corrects this.

Other than that, the laptop runs perfectly.

If you're doing the free upgrade from a previous version, then you'll have to first upgrade successfully before you can do a clean install, otherwise a win10 key won't have been generated and it won't validate on their servers.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Reading your first line is enough. Personally I do not think you should install W10 for at least 6 months since it is by no means a finished product. Meanwhile, do some research on what others have encountered when installing W10.

No problems here at all.