Hi All, can anyone offf advice..

Tezza

Doe's anyone use a PC for software such as Zbrush and Maya etc.

I am planning on starting to use this software and would be grateful for any advice on a good PC to use, either pre-built or built from components.

I havent got a fantastic budget, and also need a good size monitor and a Wacom A5 graphics tablet.

Many thanks

Tezza

Tezza

Hi, thanks for the reply

The system minimum requirements for the software dont seem that high, but I wouldn't want a PC that struggled!

I was looking at the Mesh Elite GTX460 as a pre-built unit!

or a HPZ400 Workstation, but that may be over my budget!

Budget around £750 all in for the base unit.

If you follow the link below it shows the minimum & recommended specifications for Zbrush.

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/system/

If you let us know a rough budget to work towards, people will be able to start putting together quotes for you.

Meds

Ok, how about the following;

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55 LX: USB 2.0 & SATA 3.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
768MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £736.00 including VAT and delivery.

I'm fairly certain this would cover you for years to come :D

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
Hello there

I have run software such as Softimage (XSI) / Archicad / Photoshop etc in a professional capacity quite happily on a Dell e520 (2.8mghz PentiumD) quite happily for several years.

Almost all 3d apps will run on quite low end systems (and lower than my old spec), the main issue one runs into is on rendering times.

But IMHO l find, the more powerful your machine, the tougher renders you'll throw at it and you'll end up taking the same amount of time to render (albeit at/of a higer quality!) Obviously YMWV.

My only other advice, would be to look at a profesional Graphics card rather than a gaming one (but things may have altered in recent times). Even so I was just using my old 9500 card to push polys around hi res models and it was fine.

My main point is, that you dont need an SGI machine (I used to use one at work) to create your work sucessfully, any "ok" PC will do.

Obviously, the more you can afford the somoother/easeier things will be for you as inherently the system will be faster.

Im sure the chaps here can aid you and can build you a superior machine, just dont worry if you cant afford the best of the best.

rgds

F

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
ooo almost forgot, the most important things youll be using are the interfaces to your PC, ie the wacom and keyboard mouse, most importantly the monitor, especially if you are doing stuff for print a good monitor and lighting conditions are key.

So don't scrimp on them!

rgds

F