Hi All

Snuggles

Hallo everyone, I've been a lurker for some time, (partly due to laziness and partly due to never getting the forum confirmation emails.)

I'm a former semi-pro gamer and PC enthusiast (not a very good one ha). I drifted away from it all when real life took over around six years ago and I decided to focus on my career rather than pushing to make the step into full-time professional gamer which may not have ever happened.

I now find I have the time to revisit my hobbies and dusted off the old gaming rig. Which while considering its age is still half-decent is having some misfires probably from the years of inactivity and dust (Yes I have cleaned it out please don't judge me that that much 🙃).

After hanging around on here for a while and drooling over peoples new builds (and silently praising AgentCoopers quest for tidiness... please teach me the ways of the cables...), I caved and ordered myself a new build a couple of weeks ago (can't wait).

I mainly joined to say thank you to the community here, everyone seems super helpful and friendly which is great to see.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening :)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Hello @Snuggles !

I knew I recognised you! You've come a long way since the 80's..... welcome!

Snuggle.jpg

Snuggles

Hi Snuggles, welcome to the forum! Can I ask what your games of choice were, when you were competing?
Honestly any FPS I could find competition in, mainly CoD 4 Promod, CS:S and CS:GO. Sadly mainly before Esports really took off. Wrong generation and all that haha. I was entering competitions from around 2006 until about 2013/14. CS:S was probably my main game if I had one, I had an embarrassing amount of hours put into it.

Hello @Snuggles !

I knew I recognised you! You've come a long way since the 80's..... welcome!
Ah, you found me, I used him as my profile picture for the longest time haha.

Snuggles

Welcome, very welcome!

Can I ask, what refresh rate screens were you playing on a few years ago?
Until About 2010 I insisted on using a CRT monitor I had scored an NEC 22" monitor from my Dads office and it was a thing of beauty. Refresh rates work differently on CRT but I think it was 160hz @ 640*480 (that sounds so pathetic now haha).

Eventually, the people I played with forced me to "upgrade" to a Dell bog-standard LCD I think it was 60hz. They were fed up with me taking up so much room with my giant box on the table... I hated it.
Hi! Welcome to the forum (and my cable management cult... bring your own zip ties).

When I get my new machine I will try and make you proud... (you will have to ignore the ethernet cable that is currently running through my house until I can run it up into the loft and down through the wall. It pains me even thinking about it.

Hello @Snuggles and nice to meet you. I can relate to you about when life happens and I recently got my new rig.
Hi nice to meet you too :). How are you finding your new rig, and are you glad to be back gaming?

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hallo everyone, I've been a lurker for some time, (partly due to laziness and partly due to never getting the forum confirmation emails.)

I'm a former semi-pro gamer and PC enthusiast (not a very good one ha). I drifted away from it all when real life took over around six years ago and I decided to focus on my career rather than pushing to make the step into full-time professional gamer which may not have ever happened.

I now find I have the time to revisit my hobbies and dusted off the old gaming rig. Which while considering its age is still half-decent is having some misfires probably from the years of inactivity and dust (Yes I have cleaned it out please don't judge me that that much 🙃).

After hanging around on here for a while and drooling over peoples new builds (and silently praising AgentCoopers quest for tidiness... please teach me the ways of the cables...), I caved and ordered myself a new build a couple of weeks ago (can't wait).

I mainly joined to say thank you to the community here, everyone seems super helpful and friendly which is great to see.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening :)
Welcome man :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Until About 2010 I insisted on using a CRT monitor I had scored an NEC 22" monitor from my Dads office and it was a thing of beauty. Refresh rates work differently on CRT but I think it was 160hz @ 640*480 (that sounds so pathetic now haha).
CRT's were without doubt so much better when it came to refresh rates, I'd forgotten about them tbh. I never had the pleasure of having a gaming capable system when they were more mainstream, would have loved to have experienced a good quality one.

I've always found it interesting because high refresh 1080p even is a relatively new thing on LCD screens let alone higher resolutions.

I had an Iiyama 60Hz 1920 x 1200 as my first monitor, then a Dell UltraSharp 1080p 60Hz, then another basic Dell I think. It was only relatively recently (about 5 years ago) that I moved to 1440p 144Hz. What a difference! So nice.

Snuggles

CRT's were without doubt so much better when it came to refresh rates, I'd forgotten about them tbh. I never had the pleasure of having a gaming capable system when they were more mainstream, would have loved to have experienced a good quality one.

I've always found it interesting because high refresh 1080p even is a relatively new thing on LCD screens let alone higher resolutions.

I had an Iiyama 60Hz 1920 x 1200 as my first monitor, then a Dell UltraSharp 1080p 60Hz, then another basic Dell I think. It was only relatively recently (about 5 years ago) that I moved to 1440p 144Hz. What a difference! So nice.
I was never sure if I just looked back with my rose-tinted specs on with CRT's but I would swear even now that games looked better on it, and I played better on them. Obviously, monitor tech has come a long way since then, but I will never forget the stares of disbelief when setting up my rig at a tourney/Lan party :D. Who in their right mind would pair a flashy computer with that archaic screen :p.

I do have a 144hz screen (Asus PG278q), which I brought with a gtx1080 shaped upgrade to my old machine, ( the first time I tried to convince myself I had time to get back into gaming) have to say it is a good screen, but when Xmas bonus comes round I'll pick up something better to go with my new rig.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was never sure if I just looked back with my rose-tinted specs on with CRT's but I would swear even now that games looked better on it, and I played better on them
That's a very popular opinion though, I don't think that's just you, a lot of people still play on them for that exact reason. Blacks and contrast was better as well as general refresh rates. It's a shame they didn't keep them going as an option with modern resolutions, I would definitely have picked one up.

Snuggles

That's a very popular opinion though, I don't think that's just you, a lot of people still play on them for that exact reason. Blacks and contrast was better as well as general refresh rates. It's a shame they didn't keep them going as an option with modern resolutions, I would definitely have picked one up.
I might have to have a sneaky look around to see if I can pick up an old CRT and relive my youth haha.

Honestly any FPS I could find competition in, mainly CoD 4 Promod, CS:S and CS:GO. Sadly mainly before Esports really took off. Wrong generation and all that haha. I was entering competitions from around 2006 until about 2013/14. CS:S was probably my main game if I had one, I had an embarrassing amount of hours put into it.

Ah, you found me, I used him as my profile picture for the longest time haha.
Did you ever attend the I-series events? And welcome to the forum !!!