hi am curious about lan cards what do they do pls help me

gavin

hi im an online gamer do lan pci cards improve connection or something ? also whats the differance between wirelass and cordless ??? iwant a keyboard that doesnt need contant batteries

Tom DWC

I believe "wireless" and "cordless" are just different marketing terms rather than there being any real difference technically. If you don't want to be changing batteries every 5 minutes then stick with a wired setup or consider a rechargeable set.

You only need one of the PCI/PCI Express cards for a wireless internet connection. If you do need one of these then choose the PCI card over the PCI-E if you can. PCI is older and it's best to keep the newer slots free where possible.

Tom DWC

No. You would only want to connect wirelessly for convenience/out of necessity. You're likely to lose speed and gain a less reliable connection - depending on distance.

gavin

am thinking of a 2nd pc so would be essentual then ? im confused ive got a comp wich modem is conected to and am going to buy a 2nd is it betteer to get extra cable rather than wireless lan card for my gaming pc?

Gorman

Author Level
If the two machines are close together then just use a router and a few cat5 cables, if the machines are in different rooms and you have a wirless router, cable the machine near the router and use a wireless card in the far off one.

Wireless connections will never be as good as a cable.