Hi. Late intro

DarTon

Hi

First, thanks for the advice.

Started with a ZXSpectrum in 1983 when I was a kid. Lords of Midnight and Elite were the games that grabbed my imagination. Atari ST followed. Wrong turn with Apple Mac LC as a uni student. Lovely computer but too little software. Got my first x86 in 1993 when I bought a Viglen 486. Didn’t really play any games on that though (too busy chasing girls during BSc/PhD). Spent most of my time in academia and my early work career sitting in front of Unix workstations: NeXT, SPARC, DEC Alphas etc.

Replaced the Viglen in 1999 with a Dell Dimension and rediscovered gaming playing MS Combat Flight Sim, Civ, Baldur’s Gate and Total War. Custom PCs 2004, 2009, 2015 and just bought my first one from PCS last month. Not a huge game player these days. Total War, Paradox strategy games, Elite Dangerous etc. I'm no techie but with 4 desktops, 2 laptops, 4 Ipads and 9 monitors in the house there is a constant replacement cycle going on. So need to be somewhat informed.

To be honest suspect this will be my last custom x86 PC. When I bought the 486 in 1993, I never imagined I'd still be buying an x86 architecture PC running Windows in 2021. So unless Intel or AMD pull something out of the bag, it looks like Apple M2/M3 (or whatever they call it) will be my next desktop purchase. I remember seeing reviews in 1987 of the Acorn Archimedes in Personal Computer World and Byte and they all agreed ARM was revolutionary. So it would be nice to finally be able to buy a desktop PC that used one!