High CPU temps

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, apologies, none of this was added to your original thread.
No worries, once I RMA'ed the system I figured it was in PCS' hands and there was no point in trying to self-troubleshoot anymore. I can't fault any of the three techs who took a look, they were all fantastic. But they all did confirm 1) there was definitely an issue with the CPU, and 2) they couldn't fix it remotely, so back it went. I will absolutely admit frustration with the timeline - I know covid causes a lot of issues, but the lengthy RMA forced me to buy another laptop which, frankly, I like more than I did the Defiance, but was not cheap...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No worries, once I RMA'ed the system I figured it was in PCS' hands and there was no point in trying to self-troubleshoot anymore. I can't fault any of the three techs who took a look, they were all fantastic. But they all did confirm 1) there was definitely an issue with the CPU, and 2) they couldn't fix it remotely, so back it went. I will absolutely admit frustration with the timeline - I know covid causes a lot of issues, but the lengthy RMA forced me to buy another laptop which, frankly, I like more than I did the Defiance, but was not cheap...
No, that makes perfect sense, sincere apologies, totally went off gung ho about that without knowing the full facts.

Emo

Silver Level Poster
The PCS tech remoted into the laptop and confirmed it was idle - no active processes, nothing open in the background, no updates installing, etc. We even let the system sit for 30 minutes while chatting about random stuff and watching the clock speed stay between 3.5 and 4.6 GHz the whole time (with 0% CPU usage).

This is my situation ... is it the same as yours?

Immagine 2021-04-22 184532.png

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
I generally keep mine on the bottom mode (can't remember the name) - as I found performance to ramp up the fans and temps to insane levels. But yes, no matter what mode, no matter what power settings (including "minimum/maximum CPU speed"), no matter what actual load, my CPU was constantly between 3.5 and 4.6 GHz. With some massive tweaking PCS was able to get that down to around 2.8 GHz at idle, but that is still over 2x what it should be.

Emo

Silver Level Poster
Ok, my situation is different (I think) because if I lower the performance the Mhz drops around 1000-1300

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, my situation is different (I think) because if I lower the performance the Mhz drops around 1000-1300
Yours has an active load on it which we need to find out what it is, there’s an actual process running on yours using disk reads. If you go to the normal view in task manager and sort by CPU we can see what process is working.

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
Having the CPU clock at that high usage 24/7 usually means your battery plan is at "best performance"

1. Go to the bottom-right corner of your desktop screen
  2. Click the battery icon
  3. Check the slider and see if it's on "best performance"
  4. If it is, move it to "better performance" in the middle and see if the clock values go down

Emo

Silver Level Poster
Yours has an active load on it which we need to find out what it is, there’s an actual process running on yours using disk reads. If you go to the normal view in task manager and sort by CPU we can see what process is working.
Immagine 2021-04-23 081658.png

Emo

Silver Level Poster
Do you see anything?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do you see anything?
The load was gone in the second image you posted.
For the first day or so after a windows install, background processes will be higher as it’s indexing files and applying updates. Then it will settle to normal operation

In that image you posted it looks idle. So now you can effectively do some benchmarking to determine thermals.

If you install Prime95, you need to monitor thermals both before and during running it and post screenshots of hwmonitor at each time.

Emo

Silver Level Poster
The load was gone in the second image you posted.
For the first day or so after a windows install, background processes will be higher as it’s indexing files and applying updates. Then it will settle to normal operation

In that image you posted it looks idle. So now you can effectively do some benchmarking to determine thermals.

If you install Prime95, you need to monitor thermals both before and during running it and post screenshots of hwmonitor at each time.
Screenshot_3.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 135