high-spec desktop replacement

brambles

Hi all!

I'm looking for some input on a reasonably high-spec desktop replacement laptop. Here is my use scenario: I have to travel frequently (3-4 months here and there), and I already have a light laptop that is my daily carry. I'm looking for something to game on (Battlefield series, GTA, PUGB, Metro, etc.). I don't mind if it's heavy—it's more important that the cooling is up to the task. The laptop will always be plugged into a socket.

Here is the configuration I'm looking at:

Octane VI
Panel: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
RAM: 16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
Operating system drive: 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Storage drive: 1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

I'm pretty sure I'm happy with the 1080p resolution, and since there is no middle-ground between the 1080p and the 4K, I prefer the 1080p with g-sync. I chose the i7 9700k not because it's a 'huge upgrade' over the i7 8700k, but because at 1080p it has been shown to give a higher minimum FPS in game benchmarks.

Some of the questions I have are:

Will the 330w power adapter handle all of this just fine?

Is there any overclocking potential? I would probably undervolt the CPU and leave the clocks, but I'd like to try pushing the RTX 2070 clocks up as close to the desktop 2070 as possible. Is this feasible or should I just forget about it?

The panel has been described as an AHVA with a 5/ms GTG. Does anyone have an actual review or the model number for this panel? Is it a great panel for gaming?

Thankful for any responses and input.

EDIT: After checking out some other threads in another subforum (the section on notebooks/laptops, where I should have posted this thread to begin with, perhaps), I've become aware that there's a lot of information and potentially answers to all of my questions already, so apologies for the redundancy of this! If you still have input/advice, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited: