Higher spec 2-in-1 tablets

Dr. Nowt

Hi,

Just wondering if there's any plan to do some higher spec 2-in-1s. I'm leaving the country in a few months and could do with something to carry around with me. I was looking for something with an i7, maybe 16GB of RAM, 500GB SSD.
I know the Asus Transformer has a second hard drive in the keyboard part of it, but I don't know if that would be a viable option.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
A little birdie told me that an upgraded version of the Gemini was coming later this year, I didn't ask exactly how long but I got the impression it wasn't long.

As far as specs go, I don't know if it will match your specifications, they are very high for what is basically a tablet with a detachable keyboard...

You certainly wont be running a laptop grade i7 in a tablet, and anything that requires 16GB RAM will require at the very least a laptop grade i7. 16GB RAM I guess is possible and the 500GB mSATA certainly is. But I think you might be expecting too much from a tablet. Something like the 14" skyfire for Fustion-T might be the order of the day for a spec like that, still portable but very powerful.

Dr. Nowt

On top of general stuff like using the internet, word processing etc. I'll be using it for music production and to a lesser extent, video editing. I'm currently doing this on a Vaio laptop with an i7 and 8GB RAM.
16GB isn't essential, I wasn't really sure whether than was a viable option, but 8GB would be fine. I think Sony did a tablet with i7 so I assumed it would be doable.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I understand what your saying but just getting an i7 isn't going to mean much.

The i7 4500u is the lowest power i7 (I think) CPU benchmark.net gives that a score of 3800 points. Where as the lowest spec desktop i3 comes out with a score of about 4800. A mobile i7 comes out with a score of about 8100, desktop is about 10000

So at best you would be getting something that performed half as well as a laptop. It's not that it would be impossible to get an i7, its more than possible. It would just be nowhere near a laptop i7 is what im trying to say.

The i5 in the Gemini has about a score of about 3200 so its not that much behind getting an i7 'U' class.

Last edited:

Dr. Nowt

Okay. So in these circumstances, an i5 could work out better than an i7? The i7 in my current laptop is quad-core, but would it not be too likely that I'd get a quad-core in a tablet?

I wouldn't want to get something that can't keep up with what I need it for. It looks like you might be right about the 14" Skyfire.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
For internet, media and word processing the Gemini for me would be the best choice. Battery life is good, portable and light.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You can get a quadore in a tablet easily, loads of them have it. The point is they are just low powered versions.

For your needs I really don't think a tablet is suitable, a small screen laptop with real processing punch is what you need. That way you get portability and power.

Basically what im saying is the super low power 'U' class i7's are very good but not in the same league as the laptop/desktop i7's. if you want power grab a laptop and a mobile i7

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'd have to agree with Mantadog in this case. If you would like a small screen and portability then the 13" Optimus V would be your best choice with large range of laptop CPUs as well as 16GB RAM, a dedicated graphics card (important for video editing) and lots of choice for hard drives.