Hola from a very wet and hot Colombia

iancha

Hi all

Just joined the forums to buy a Gaming PC - as they´re still running behind by about 3 years here (Dual Core processors and 2GB RAM - that sort of thing).
Plan to come back to the UK for hols soon, and bring the rig back with me.

iancha

Should be okay, allowing for the odd stroppy gringo hating customs officer at Bogota airport. Hence the 50.000 peso note in my wallet!

You can bring a new PC into the country without paying tax or getting tied up in Latin beuraucracy provided you have a receipt proving it cost less than $1500 US, it´s for personal use, and you live here.

Pity about the value threshold, but anything would be better than the **** they sell here, and I´ve managed to get a decent gaming rig that should last me a few years that I´m not going to let any Colombian have a go on.

pez

Just a thought. I'm sure with a little help from PCS, you could have the core rig (Case, PSU, Memory, etc) in one invoice and then get the 2 GPU's in a second invoice :) Therefore, both items less than $1500 and then you just plug in the GPUs when you get home :D

iancha

Unfortunately a Gringo is anyone who is foreign - unless you´re oriental, in which case you´re "Cheena" (China) - even if your Korean, Japanese, or just have a dodgy squint.. I´ve never actually had any probs, so fingers crossed.

Pez, nice idea mate. Luckily the cost is below the $1500 threshold anyway, so that shouldn´t be necessary. I´m not sure if the threshold includes any VAT or is the base price, so I´ve played it safe and still managed to find a decent system for what I need.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions etc.