Homemade Chilli

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Made using the infamous bung it and taste recipe, served with plain rice

chilli.jpg

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I love a good chilli. Sadly Mrs Cooper's hot food tolerance isn't quite as strong as mine so it tends to be milder than I'd like. I sprinkle dried chilli flakes onto my portion to spice things up a little.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I love a good chilli. Sadly Mrs Cooper's hot food tolerance isn't quite as strong as mine so it tends to be milder than I'd like. I sprinkle dried chilli flakes onto my portion to spice things up a little.
This one had dried chillies in it, along with chilli flakes and a good splash of hot tabasco sauce, oh and some dark chocolate to give it that smooth hot taste.............

Stephen M

Author Level
Quite like fairly spicey stuff but not in the range of an old friend from cricket. The aptly named Cookie, lived well into his 90s and seemingly on a diet of rough cider and the hottest dishes we could get.

Remember a match at Edgbaston, as we were in Birmingham Cookie wanted a Phal as it is supposed to have been invented by a Bangladeshi chef there.

Our mixed age group arrived, including the proverbial "Little old man," and Cookie immediately ordered a Phal, the waiter warned him it was very hot but Cookie just said, that's ok, make it as hot as you can.

Even those of us with a Vindaloo had eyes streaming from the fumes coming from Cookie's plate. Plus there was the brilliant slight of seeing the kitchen staff peering through the window at him tucking in.

Cookie asked to see the chef to thank him, said it was delicious and we were staying for all four days of the match so would be back. He then added, you are welcome to spice it up a bit if you like.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Quite like fairly spicey stuff but not in the range of an old friend from cricket. The aptly named Cookie, lived well into his 90s and seemingly on a diet of rough cider and the hottest dishes we could get.

Remember a match at Edgbaston, as we were in Birmingham Cookie wanted a Phal as it is supposed to have been invented by a Bangladeshi chef there.

Our mixed age group arrived, including the proverbial "Little old man," and Cookie immediately ordered a Phal, the waiter warned him it was very hot but Cookie just said, that's ok, make it as hot as you can.

Even those of us with a Vindaloo had eyes streaming from the fumes coming from Cookie's plate. Plus there was the brilliant slight of seeing the kitchen staff peering through the window at him tucking in.

Cookie asked to see the chef to thank him, said it was delicious and we were staying for all four days of the match so would be back. He then added, you are welcome to spice it up a bit if you like.
Wow, that is a man with a cast iron stomach.

Our local curry place does an amazing vindaloo, it’s very spicy but there’s a depth of flavour there. However their hottest curry (naga) is spicy for the sake of being spicy, it just tastes of fire.

I had quite a good education in curries, my sister went to uni in Manchester and lived in Fallowfield, close to the famous ‘curry mile’. Visits to see her were always combined with a trip to a different restaurant. Whilst she always stuck with a korma or butter chicken, I gradually worked my way up the Scoville scale 🥵

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member

I once had a teaspoon of phal, never experienced pain like it. Almost like a hurricane as after a while you got to the eye of the storm and was able to eat your own curry but then it came pack :D

Stephen M

Author Level
I vary, sometimes will enjoy a Vindaloo but then go through a phase of milder stuff.

Spicey food needs a good chef, very hot and tasty is fine but I find some hot stuff becomes bitter as well and you lose all nice flavours.

Made a mistake once, had not been out for a curry for months and fancied a Vindaloo. Trouble was, I had also not smoked for a few months and my taste buds were working again.

Luckily it was a very good Vindaloo, so after the initial shock it went down well.

One of my favourite experiences was at a local we used a lot. One night instead of the usual dish for the lime pickle it was in an old jam jar. It was totally different and amazing, the owner's gran was visiting and we were treated to home made pickle.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ahhh Curry and Chilli...... my favs :D

I love a good curry. I like a bit of spice/heat myself but similar to suggestions above, only when the taste backs up the heat.

I really love a Madras. For years it was my favourite curry. When done right it'll blow your head off but have such a taste sensation that it's totally worth it. When not done right it'll either still be hot with no flavour, or taste like some sort of Tikka dish instead. A place quite local to me used to do the best Madras I had ever tasted but it closed down, struggle to get a really good one now.

I've moved over to South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken now as my fav. Cracking dish, again when done right. It's a lot more forgiving so even if it's not made in the most traditional way, you can get away with loads when you chuck the garlic in. The heat/tingle sensation should come from the spices and the garlic with this particular curry. Firm favourite for me to make too. Love it. Vary the heat with thin green chillies depending who is eating it.

For Chilli I'm a complete weirdo. I don't think anyone would actually call my Chilli "Chilli" as it's missing some key ingredients. I don't pack it out with Kidney beans (As I don't like them) and I've only ever used chocolate once. I'm not against the Chocolate option, I just don't really have it to hand and I like making my dishes from scratch. Garlic, Onions, Chilli, Paprika, Onions Chilli, Cumin, Onions, Cumin, Paprika and some Chilli are my main ingredients. Sometimes throw in some Mince if the feeling takes me too 😂 :sneaky: Absolutely love spicy mince, no matter the variant (Chilli pasta bake, Chilli Lasagne, Chilli Burrito). Steamed rice to go with it too..... mmmmm getting hungry.

Stephen M

Author Level
I like doing a fairly dry mix of of onions, mushrooms and spices with mince, then finishing it by mixing in cooked Basmati rice and frying it in a wok for a few minutes.

A veggie version with diced Holloumi instead of mince is nice as well.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I love that sauce, I use it all the time. One of my favs is to make Cheese on Toast and put that on it mid-way through cooking. Once finished, sprinkle on the garlic & chilli salt. Absolutely dyno.
Nice. You seem a big fan of a garlic and spicy combo, may I recommend this stuff? It’s amazing but quite hard to find in the UK so Mrs Cooper (bless her heart) has taken to importing me eight bottles a year. If you ever see it, snap it up. It’s incredible on scrambled eggs... and most other things 👍

5DB026B4-31E9-4A8F-9283-E0213D508356.jpeg