Homeplugs

Vaio

Enthusiast
Someone mentioned about getting some homeplugs to allow for ethernet connection to my PC, my question is, if I'm getting 100-120mbps on wifi connection, do I really need homeplugs? I guess the connection will be a lot more stable for sure, especially for gaming etc.

I was looking at these

They are expensive, but they allow for Wifi and ethernet cable, along with dual connection, 2.4ghz and 5. These also allow for sockets to be plugged into them so you aren't taking a socket up just for an Ethernet connection. I only have 2 sockets near my router, both of which are used by extension leads, so I can plug one of those into the homeplug.

What ethernet cable is the standard nowadays? I believe back in the day I had a cat6a and that was super thick.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Someone mentioned about getting some homeplugs to allow for ethernet connection to my PC, my question is, if I'm getting 100-120mbps on wifi connection, do I really need homeplugs? I guess the connection will be a lot more stable for sure, especially for gaming etc.

I was looking at these

They are expensive, but they allow for Wifi and ethernet cable, along with dual connection, 2.4ghz and 5. These also allow for sockets to be plugged into them so you aren't taking a socket up just for an Ethernet connection. I only have 2 sockets near my router, both of which are used by extension leads, so I can plug one of those into the homeplug.

What ethernet cable is the standard nowadays? I believe back in the day I had a cat6a and that was super thick.
I personally would t recommend home plugs, they’re intermittent and very misleadingly advertised, the speeds they state are rarely the speeds they achieve. Instead I would invest in a mesh WiFi setup where you can start with one node and then add more as money allows. They’re scalable and very future proof and add a much better experience than himeplugs would.

Vaio

Enthusiast
I personally would t recommend home plugs, they’re intermittent and very misleadingly advertised, the speeds they state are rarely the speeds they achieve. Instead I would invest in a mesh WiFi setup where you can start with one node and then add more as money allows. They’re scalable and very future proof and add a much better experience than himeplugs would.

I don't know if my house warrants a whole mesh system as good as they can be. I would realistically only really use 2, one upstairs and one downstairs.

Perhaps I'm better off with a wifi booster? I mean, I don't get any internet drop outs, but the signal could be a bit better, especially on the 5ghz.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't know if my house warrants a whole mesh system as good as they can be. I would realistically only really use 2, one upstairs and one downstairs.

Perhaps I'm better off with a wifi booster? I mean, I don't get any internet drop outs, but the signal could be a bit better, especially on the 5ghz.
A wifi booster just boosts the signal it gets, that's where mesh is so much better. Mesh will boost a full signal, whereas wifi booster will boost a partial signal.

With a mesh system, you don't have to have multiple units, you can just have one if you want. It's just a far more modern solution, it beam forms so targets exactly where it's being used, plus they're just far stronger signals.

I played around with extenders and homeplugs for years before mesh came along and would never ever bother with anything less than mesh after trying it, totally bulletproof (so long as you invest in a decent model). I had endless problems with extenders and homeplugs. And ended up spending far more on them than I have the mesh setup trying to sort out the constant problems.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Currently with virgin media on a 100mb line
Damn, they're one of the few that don't offer a mesh setup yet.

Have a look at these, they're incredible and cost only a bit more than those homeplugs you listed, but I absolutely guarantee the experience and the lifetime of them would make the extra cash instantly worthwhile.

Those homeplugs do look very good though out of the bunch, have to say. You can get them cheaper on Amazon which may add to the appeal:

Stappa

Enthusiast
Umm. in my 3 years of using home plugs in the kids 5 bedrooms we have never had an issue which is incredible.... especially considering that the electric wiring has be changed a lot due to major extension work...prior to these plugs they all used wifi....and that was a real pita most of the time with the size of the property and the solid brick internal walls?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Umm. in my 3 years of using home plugs in the kids 5 bedrooms we have never had an issue which is incredible.... especially considering that the electric wiring has be changed a lot due to major extension work...prior to these plugs they all used wifi....and that was a real pita most of the time with the size of the property and the solid brick internal walls?
Which model homeplugs do you use?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Based on what you're saying here, my advice would be to leave well alone. If you're getting 100-120Mbps via WiFi I see no need for you to do anything? You don't seem to have a problem. If it ain't broke then don't fix it! :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I also found some homeplugs can cause interference which hammers the actual speed a router connects at.

I can't be entirely sure which brand they were, but I seem to recall TP-Link, caused me to drop 80% off my line speed.

Devolo just work for me where they are needed occasionally.

Vaio

Enthusiast
I went ahead and purchased the slightly cheaper variation of the TP powerlinks, which only have the wired connection and no wireless and I didn't feel like I would have benefited from that.

So, my router is upstairs tucked away in a cupboard and my PC is downstairs. Now, on a good day (using 5ghz connection) I will get anywhere from 50-80mbps (100mb line). This is using the computers WiFi 6 card with the provided antenna's. Today, I've been testing the wifi (using my PC) and I'm getting around 45mbps, connected the wired plugs and I'm getting exactly the same results as my wifi connection, very similar ping, around 10ms and around 45mbps.

My laptop on the other hand which is also on my desk, is getting 110mbps using the 5ghz connection.

Is it still worth keeping the powerlink plugs, If there's little to no difference from my wifi connection to the PC?