horror film collection

polycrac

Rising Star
My better half loves horror films and books (from oldschool Hammer to new Korean weirdness) and I'm looking for birthday present ideas. She tried Shudder, as a subscription service for films, but found it horrible for all the wrong reasons - restrictions etc. Any other horrorphiles able to recommend anything in a similar vein, available in the UK? Either books or film would be great. I looked at horror lootcrates, but a big one just closed down owing customers money and they tend to be really expensive anyway.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Books wise, I really enjoyed The Devil's Detective by Simon Kurt Unsworth. It's a crime novel set in Hell that didn't get as much mainstream attention as it deserved. I also really enjoyed Defender (and the recent follow up Hunted) by GX Todd. Post apocalyptic thrillers in the vein of Stephen King's The Stand.

Caticornhorn

My most recent horror movie was Mara, it was alright, but nothing comparing Hereditary. This one was some messed up ****... I watched it in the theater and it got me. Some kind of stressful tension kept me strained the whole movie. Some specific parts effected me more deeply than other viewers or my friends and I wonder why... Anyway the movie was very strong and the acting was very believable (not mentioning a few stupid parts, which made everyone laugh). I'd say without a doubt that it was the best Toni Collette's work. What you guys think about Hereditary?

Stephen M

Author Level
If she likes old school Hammer and also wants a good laugh I would recommend two by director Ed Wood jnr: Plan Nine from Outer Space and Bride of the Monster. The former has been voted the worst film of all time and is so bad it is funny, as is the other, no real scares but great entertainment.

polycrac

Rising Star
My most recent horror movie was Mara, it was alright, but nothing comparing Hereditary. This one was some messed up ****... I watched it in the theater and it got me. Some kind of stressful tension kept me strained the whole movie. Some specific parts effected me more deeply than other viewers or my friends and I wonder why... Anyway the movie was very strong and the acting was very believable (not mentioning a few stupid parts, which made everyone laugh). I'd say without a doubt that it was the best Toni Collette's work. What you guys think about Hereditary?

I've seen Mara, and enjoyed it - never seen Hereditary though, thanks for the tip!

polycrac

Rising Star
If she likes old school Hammer and also wants a good laugh I would recommend two by director Ed Wood jnr: Plan Nine from Outer Space and Bride of the Monster. The former has been voted the worst film of all time and is so bad it is funny, as is the other, no real scares but great entertainment.

Seen pnfos, but not the other - thanks, we'll try it!

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Ooh, a bookseller i use (Goldsboro books) has just notified me of a new book, Dracul by Dacre Stoker and J.D Barker. It's a prequel to Dracula released last week and they have signed copies. I've ordered one.

polycrac

Rising Star
Ooh, a bookseller i use (Goldsboro books) has just notified me of a new book, Dracul by Dacre Stoker and J.D Barker. It's a prequel to Dracula released last week and they have signed copies. I've ordered one.

Let me know how you find it - sounds interesting!