Houston....we have a problem :(

pez

Guys,

Took the laptop into work today. Was going to show the boss as he paid for it and all, but he didn;t come in. Left in the bad all day beside my desk.

Got home this evening, tried to boot it, and the SSD is not even recognised in the boot sequence?

I can only assume it's become unseated? Is there anything I can do?

I'm not panicking, as I know your support is superb. Look forward to the solution :)

cheers
Matt

pez

The OCZ is not recognized. The back up HDD 250gig is, as is the ethernet (weirdly enough) as is the DVD Drive. But my OS and software on the SSD clearly won;t boot, as the Bios says it doesn;t exist.

Sorry, there's a bigger issue at hand. You guys might even help. If I had a Serial Number for a iphone 4, can I find out where it was sold, info, bla bla bla?

Gorman

Author Level
Iphone4, not a clue bud.

Laptop, open the user servicable port on the back and check the hdd is in and not loose. Should be a couple of mini screws at most and if its like most models its the pull off panel thats sort of hard drive sized

pez

opened it up and seems firmly in place, but not recognized on boot. how do i unplug and reseat?

Gorman

Author Level
appreciate i am flying blind here and going off general chassis experience.

There are probably several screws holding it in place and it will slide away to one side away from the connectors once they are unscrewed.

Its most likely just a plain old dead drive though :(

pez

Nope. No screws holding it in place. Ok, pulled it out and blew on connectors. Going to try again :(

Gorman

Author Level
Not Caroline! She was so young!

If its going to go its most likely to happen in the first few weeks :(

Nope. No screws holding it in place. Ok, pulled it out and blew on connectors. Going to try again :(

Let us know what happens.

Worst case you have to call us on 0844 499 4000 and we send you a new drive, reinstall :( then back in business.

pez

Sorry Guys, it's bad news. Nothing again.
It was firmly in place....so really not sure.

I'll give you lads a ring tomorrow. Need me to bring in the Lappy in case (as I'll be in the office?). Obviously, for all the disappointment and inconvenience, if a 240gig SSD happens to find it's way here, I fully understand. Mums the word ;)

(I heard the 120gig OCZ V2's were unstable.....lolol)

pez

Ok guys. Just to give you an update :)

I've just got off the phone with Mustafa. All logged by the mighty Gorman and a replacement being sent out today.

Remarkable support!

This....This....(and it does sound weird).... is why I bought at PCS. I'm pretty confident it's not this quick at PC World ;)

Matt

pez

Ok, slight update again. Been on the phone with Jack and understand there is a conflicting issue with the OCZ drive and the VertexII. Alas, the drive won't be sent out.

However, we have come to an agreement and a new drive will be coming out hopefully Monday or Tuesday next week :) YEY!

bottom line, is I'd prefer to wait for an extra couple of days and resolve the stability problem, than have to go through this "Possibly" in a couple of weeks.

Well played PCS. Still great customer support :)

pez

Ok, good news update today :)

I received the revised SSD, the Intel 320 120gig. Alas, due to me knowing that I would get no work done once it arrived, I left Caroline at home :D Therefore, I shall re-install everything tonight - much to the wifes great delight - and I'll update everyone Tomorrow.

gorman, Jack and Danny, thanks for all your support and help lads :)

Matt / Pez

Last edited by a moderator:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
SSDs, more pain than they are worth! Heh. Good to hear and very much looking foward to seeing this whole thing come to a nice ending with you and Caroline heading off into the sunse...OMG IM BORED AT WORK!