How can I disable the touchpad on my laptop?

ggabu

I have a new 17.3" Octane VI laptop from PCS running Windows 10 Pro x64.

I am an old fashioned user who only likes mice for pointer input. I have an MS 6000 Comfort mouse connected via USB and want to disable the built in touchpad.

I have spent many hours searching the interweb and have tried a dozen different things range from disabling the driver to hacking the registry to installing touchpad blockers. Nothing works and I cannot disable this blessed touchpad! :mad:

As I understand it, the touchpad is produced by Synaptics and is also used in HP laptops. So, I have searched for disabling Synaptics touchpads, as well as generic touchpads, but none of the apparent "solutions" have worked.

Can anyone please help me disable this touchpad, because the most annoying thing is the pointer keeps moving unnintentionally, because I am brushing across the touchpad unintentionally.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Open Control Panel and click the Mouse icon. In there (probably on the Hardware tab) should be a checkbox that disables thd touchpad when an external mouse is plugged in.

Sent using Tapatalk

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Check whether you have the latest driver. I know some do allow it and some don't...

Sent using Tapatalk

ggabu

Oh wow! I found the fix, but is really weird! PCS support emailed me and suggested I uninstall and reinstall the Control Centre application. Just by chance, whilst Control Centre was uninstalled, I looked at the Touchpad/Mouse properties in Control Panel (as your first reply suggested), low and behold, the checkbox to turn the touchpad off was visible! So I turned it off and reinstalled Control, now I am comfortably typing away without the nuisance of the touchpad.

PCS really need to document the fact that the Control Centre application hides this checkbox, because it had be going around in circles for most of the day.

Thanks for your help.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh, extremely well done! I suggest you contact PCS again and report this fix.

Sent using Tapatalk