How does sleep mode affect battery?

VlaGas

Dear all,

I was wondering, I usually shut my laptop down after I have finished doing my stuff with it (like before going to sleep or going to work). However, I was wondering how bad it would be if I had it on sleep mode (while I am at work or while sleeping) for 2 months (pretty long story to explain, but it would just be more convenient for me to do so until Christmas holidays)? So ultimately it would be in sleep mode for about 8 hours every night and for 12 hours every working day rather than being shut down. I presume that it would negatively impact battery life but that shouldn’t matter that much as I alway have the laptop connected to the power cable, am I correct in thinking this? Would it not end up draining more battery than getting it while connected to the power cable? I hope this makes sense. Could you please advise? Thank you very much in advance!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear all,

I was wondering, I usually shut my laptop down after I have finished doing my stuff with it (like before going to sleep or going to work). However, I was wondering how bad it would be if I had it on sleep mode (while I am at work or while sleeping) for 2 months (pretty long story to explain, but it would just be more convenient for me to do so until Christmas holidays)? So ultimately it would be in sleep mode for about 8 hours every night and for 12 hours every working day rather than being shut down. I presume that it would negatively impact battery life but that shouldn’t matter that much as I alway have the laptop connected to the power cable, am I correct in thinking this? Would it not end up draining more battery than getting it while connected to the power cable? I hope this makes sense. Could you please advise? Thank you very much in advance!
Sleep is not off, it's just in a low power state, so after a week or so it would run out of battery.

You really don't want to use sleep at all on a windows machine, it doesn't work terribly well and massively wears the battery out.

It's more for Mac laptops.

VlaGas

Sleep is not off, it's just in a low power state, so after a week or so it would run out of battery.

You really don't want to use sleep at all on a windows machine, it doesn't work terribly well and massively wears the battery out.

It's more for Mac laptops.
Thank you very much for letting me know! It’s a shame, I will have to use it for 1 week though, just until next weekend. I need to reinstall Windows, which would delete all of my current data, so will take time to download and create everything again. Will do that next weekend then. Thank you so much for your help!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you very much for letting me know! It’s a shame, I will have to use it for 1 week though, just until next weekend. I need to reinstall Windows, which would delete all of my current data, so will take time to download and create everything again. Will do that next weekend then. Thank you so much for your help!
Just for future reference, this is exactly why you never have a single drive in a system, always have a dedicated drive for OS and programs, and a dedicated one for data for exactly this reason, so that you can reinstall without worrying about your data.

If you must settle for one drive, just partition it and move your data to the second partition, that way you only have to wipe the OS partition and the data is intact.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just for future reference, this is exactly why you never have a single drive in a system, always have a dedicated drive for OS and programs, and a dedicated one for data for exactly this reason, so that you can reinstall without worrying about your data.

If you must settle for one drive, just partition it and move your data to the second partition, that way you only have to wipe the OS partition and the data is intact.
It's also a very good reason to make use of someething such as onedrive or dropbox to back all your data upto

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's also a very good reason to make use of someething such as onedrive or dropbox to back all your data upto
That's a very good point, if you're a student you must have an O365 account, you'll have OneDrive backup included in that and it's all encrypted and secured as well as version history and disaster recovery.