How fast is your internet according to Speed Test?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Are you sure!?!, I've not heard of this before. Every time I've approached in the past I've been shrugged off saying the limits are the limits, unless I go in for a buisness line (which I never will).

I'll give them a ring this evening when I've finished work... if I get a positive answer then I'll owe you a few pints!

Yeah I'm pretty sure, it was a while back that I last heard it being done but I don't see why they would stop. They would just lose customers if they didn't offer it.

Androcles

Rising Star
I wish Virgin Media would take the levy off their upload.... I hate being capped at 12mb. I'm not into the whole peer to peer and what not, but I stream and as my beautiful PCS PC can handle 1440p I want to stream 1080/1152p in ultra detail ... alas my bandwidth and... upload limit (2.5gig in an hour) poop me out.

Hmn, I received a letter from virgin last year detailing that they had gotten rid of caps on all packages 30mb and above, and so far I haven't hit the cap since then, I used to hit it all the time, my partner's house bound because she's disabled and streams Netflix all day and I run a busy teamspeak server 24/7 without hitting caps.

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
Hmn, I received a letter from virgin last year detailing that they had gotten rid of caps on all packages 30mb and above, and so far I haven't hit the cap since then, I used to hit it all the time, my partner's house bound because she's disabled and streams Netflix all day and I run a busy teamspeak server 24/7 without hitting caps.

Hey there chap, your right when it comes to Download speeds - they are uncapped now on all packages. However my issue is with upload on which there is still a usage cap. @wozza, didnt get a chance to ring today as I've just got home, but will inform you of my results when I do.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Current speed tethered to my phone because my service was disrupted last night during the storm, got no home phone either at the moment and been given 4pm as an estimate for it being fixed. Don't no how I'll survive. Can't even get the upload test to work either xD

speed.png

PokerFace

Banned
Well I contacted Sky yesterday and complained that I was only getting 2.2Mb/s whereas I used to get about 3.64 and they took me through the old "is the router connected directly to the BT main socket?; try a different filter/ethernet cable etc." routine.

They said their engineers would look into this and get back to me. I had a couple of disconnections yesterday, lasting a few minutes and exactly 4 hours apart (which they said would happen every 3 hours).

But looking at my Speedtest.net result today, they must have put the new guy on my case :taz:

If they don't get me a steady 4 megs on my "up to 6 megs" package, I'm moving ISPs.

The cynic in me wonders if they reduce your speed, hoping you'll sign up to their fibre optic. When I discussed fibre with them, they said on the "up to 34meg" deal, I would get a minimum speed of 17megs. I said "can you put that in writing BEFORE I sign up for 2 years?" .... well you know the answer to that!

I think it's fine and understandable to have "up to" in the contract, but they should also have to include "a minimum speed of.." as well. What do you guys think?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Well I contacted Sky yesterday and complained that I was only getting 2.2Mb/s whereas I used to get about 3.64 and they took me through the old "is the router connected directly to the BT main socket?; try a different filter/ethernet cable etc." routine.

They said their engineers would look into this and get back to me. I had a couple of disconnections yesterday, lasting a few minutes and exactly 4 hours apart (which they said would happen every 3 hours).

But looking at my Speedtest.net result today, they must have put the new guy on my case :taz:

If they don't get me a steady 4 megs on my "up to 6 megs" package, I'm moving ISPs.

The cynic in me wonders if they reduce your speed, hoping you'll sign up to their fibre optic. When I discussed fibre with them, they said on the "up to 34meg" deal, I would get a minimum speed of 17megs. I said "can you put that in writing BEFORE I sign up for 2 years?" .... well you know the answer to that!

I think it's fine and understandable to have "up to" in the contract, but they should also have to include "a minimum speed of.." as well. What do you guys think?

I'm having the exact same problem with Sky,my download speed has dropped back down to 5Mb/s again from the 7.5 I've been getting for the last few weeks.Also my router has been cutting out every 30 minutes or so.Thouroughly hacked off with this carry on.

PokerFace

Banned

Yay, I got a text from Sky saying "Hi, we have fixed your fault without needing to access your property".

Here's the result:

:mad:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Yay, I got a text from Sky saying "Hi, we have fixed your fault without needing to access your property".

Here's the result:

:mad:

Looks like they fixed that!

To be honest you never get the advertised speeds, unless with Virgin media, you get nearly spot on with them. They can just use excuses such as "it's the router" or "it's only up to that speed", as said, it would be best to have a minimum speed, but that could also cause problems if the fault is actually with your router or something as many people would complain about it.

PokerFace

Banned
Looks like they fixed that!

They can just use excuses such as "it's the router".

Actually, they did say it might be my router as it's three years old. They offered me a new router for free, but I would be tied in for another year contract, which would be no good if the speed was still rubbish.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Actually, they did say it might be my router as it's three years old. They offered me a new router for free, but I would be tied in for another year contract, which would be no good if the speed was still rubbish.
They're going to tie you to another years contract for replacing the router?
I think that's terrible.

PokerFace

Banned
They're going to tie you to another years contract for replacing the router?
I think that's terrible.

They did say if the new router didn't improve my speeds, then I could cancel, but you know what would happen there. My speed would rise afraction and that would be me stuck on 2Mb/s :(

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Try and force them into an agreement with how much your speed needs to go up by and threaten going elsewhere. I think get them to agree to 80%+ of your contract maximum

PokerFace

Banned
Try and force them into an agreement with how much your speed needs to go up by and threaten going elsewhere. I think get them to agree to 80%+ of your contract maximum

I tried that, but they will not promise a minimum speed. I also told them that if my speed doesn't get back up to at least 3.5Mb/s, then I'm looking elsewhere. They did ask if I'd considered fibre, but I begrudge giving them more money, when all I want is the speed I've been on for the last few years (around 3.6 if you see some of my early posts in this thread).

It makes you wonder if it's a ploy to get you to sign up to fibre. Nothing would surprise me these days.

I asked about a MAC code, but they said I didn't need one, as I am on their phone/internet package (I can't remember the term off hand, but I've got it written down somewhere).

Anyway, they've supposedly asked for my line to be checked again. I'm not very hopeful :(

So, as I don't have Virgin in this area, who would you guys suggest? Fibre and phone with Sky would cost me around £40, so any savings on that would be fine.

P.S. I don't want anything to do with Orange/EE, they've peed me off too much in the past, and I've got a long memory (although my short-term memory is on the wane!) :confused:

rn1

P.S. I don't want anything to do with Orange/EE, they've peed me off too much in the past, and I've got a long memory (although my short-term memory is on the wane!) :confused:

EE are awful for speeds and will attempt to put you onto limits that you havent agreed to and if you enquire about it, "there's a small fault in your area that'll be fixed by *whenever your bill date is*" They try it with a 40gb download limit alot of the time even though it is quite cheap.

have you looked at TalkTalk or BT?