How it's going with my Recoil IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
Basic components - i7 10875H, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB 2666MHz RAM, Arctic MX thermal paste.

My first impressions -

First, the good stuff. The power supply is a lot lighter than PCS told me it would be, coming in at around 1kg, as most other 230 power supplies do. That made me happy because it results in a total weight of just over 3kg.

The construction overall is pretty good and the laptop looks and feels nice. The screen looks good and I'm likely the thinner bezel - my old laptop is quite a bit bigger because of a much wider bezel. I haven't tried it out in a bright place yet, so I haven't had a chance to see how the matte screen handles that. But in general I like not seeing my reflection so obviously in the screen. The screen opens and closes nice and easily and though there's very little stiffness to it, I'm comfortable opening and closing it one-handed because it operates so smoothly.

The trackpad works well and I quite like that it's so easy to turn on and off. Moving the mouse cursor around is pretty smooth and the tracking is responsive.

The keyboard is OK. I like a mechanical keyboard, which is one of the reasons this chassis was more appealing. I could, of course, use a separate mechanical keyboard, but that requires more space than I currently have. The key action feels pretty good and the keyboard is, generally, very pleasant to use.

The machine seems to operate pretty well and while the keyboard get warm even in the restricted Office and Eco modes, overall it remains at reasonable temperatures.

I've only done some minor gaming with it - about 10 minutes of Borderlands 3 on ultra settings, about 20 minutes of Witcher 3 on ultra settings and about 10 minutes of Assassin's Creed Origins on ultra settings. It gets good frame rates for all with BL3 pushing it the most - around 60 to 65 fps in pretty much all modes. I plan to push it harder this weekend to see how hot it gets and whether it's possible to have decent gaming sessions on this machine without it becoming unbearable.

And the not so good... This will all seem fairly negative, but mostly the problems I've encountered fall into the category of niggles. At least so far. I think the keys popping off could end up being a major problem. And it may well turn out that this machine simply runs too hot to be usable when gaming.

The buttons on the trackpad are pretty bad, dipping down in the corners. And there's just something clunky about the click.

Unfortunately, as others have noticed, the keys sometimes pop off on their own. In my case "sometimes" so far translates to the W key popping off on it's own relatively regularly, but so far all the others staying put. The keyboard layout isn't great - the keyboard really would've been better without the number pad. Instead the number pad has to be kept turned off most of the time to make keys like Home and End easily usable, the other keys are squashed together, cursor keys are, in a sense, more hidden than usual, and the delete key is just plain the wrong position. I may have to get some key mapping software to correct the delete key position.

I've also had minor issues with the keyboard lighting. It was disabled in the BIOS when I received the machine, which had inexplicably caused Gaming Center not to function at all and be missing two sections - lighting and performance monitoring. The sections that were there didn't work. In the BIOS I didn't spot an option for single colour and so enabled Aurora (whatever that is. There's a checkbox in the Gaming Center to enable Aurora as well, but it appears that all it does is override the keyboard lighting timer so that the lights never turn off even if the timer is set to turn them off). On a restart of the machine the lighting was turned off for no apparent reason. I've only restarted the machine a couple of times and that problem has only occurred once, but I've seen reports of earlier Recoil modes having similar and worse backlighting problems. Most of the lighting presets are just gimmicky and literally no use if you're actually wanting a lit keyboard - I sometimes use my laptop in poor lighting, so being able to see the keys is useful. I mostly touch-type, but I'm not all that good at it, so I like to have the guidance of seeing the keyboard sometimes.

The fan noise is not as loud as I was expecting, but the machine gets a lot hotter than I was expecting (a different build that shall remain nameless runs with the chassis around 20 degrees cooler according to the review I saw). I'm going to be trying out a better cooling pad to see if it helps. Currently the keyboard is hitting well over 40 and the area above the keyboard as much as 53. I haven't yet checked the temperature of the bottom other than to confirm it's too hot to use without something between the laptop and me.

That being said, in Office mode the fans are forced to be quiet and the Gaming Center only gives the appearance of being able to make meaningful changes the fan behaviour. There is a ceiling on the maximum fan speed in Office mode and it's too low. This means that when gaming one of the other two modes has to be used. I've not tried the game mode with fan boost off yet, so I don't know how well it behaves. There was no noticeable difference between the two gaming modes either in terms of CPU/GPU temperature or overall performance even though the plain game mode is supposed to be clocked back compared to turbo mode. But perhaps that'll change with fan boost off.

The camera and microphone, as others have pointed out, are entirely useless and it's not clear why they're included. Because of the camera placement the facial recognition for unlocking the machine is hard to use.

The Bulldog software is, like most security software, intrusive and bad. This isn't specific to the Recoil, of course. I opted not to start the 3 month trial right away and Bulldog shut down. Or did it? It disappeared from the system tray. But it was definitely still pulling some strings. I know this because I was trying to run a game that requires being online and it kept failing to find the required server. The firewall request to allow it had popped up and I'd said to allow it through. I checked the firewall settings and it was there and marked to be allowed through. But it couldn't connect. I tried disabling the firewall temporarily, but it would turn back on after a few seconds. That, it turns out, was Bulldog's doing, even though it appeared to have stopped running because it had disappeared from the system tray. The only way to get the game to run successfully was to disable Bulldog. With no changes other than that - same firewall settings and the firewall running, as soon as Bulldog was entirely neutered the game connected. Perhaps it would behave itself if the trial is started, but a piece of software that essentially fundamentally breaks things is unlikely to be a good thing.

I discovered that the HDMI won't talk to my main HDMI switch. I have a second one that fortunately it does talk to. It's not clear why it's not able to talk to the one I usually use. It's possible that it's an HDMI version problem, but it talks to the monitor fine and as far as I know that and my main switch are both the same HDMI version.

Astreo

Hi, how is it going? I am thinking about buying one too, for the temperatures i read that a clean install of Windows should help. Keep us updated!

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, how is it going? I am thinking about buying one too, for the temperatures i read that a clean install of Windows should help. Keep us updated!

What you get from PCS is a clean install of Windows, so I doubt there's any truth to the claim that a clean install of Windows is any sort of deciding factor.

I'm returning the laptop for a refund. Not because of the thermal problems, which are certainly there - mostly the chassis getting really hot.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What you get from PCS is a clean install of Windows, so I doubt there's any truth to the claim that a clean install of Windows is any sort of deciding factor.

It depends on whether you pay for a copy of Windows with your order. If you do, then there should be no need to reinstall, everything you need will be good to go.

If you buy without an OS there will be a copy of Windows on there that PCS used for testing. It's not wise to simply activate this with a suitable key, because there is no guarantee that it's complete nor configured properly. If you order without an OS we always recommend clean installing your own copy of Windows.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
That likely depends on what testing they do. Presumably they'd have to install all the correct drivers to be able to conduct valid tests of the system. And if a standard out-of-the-box install is what comes on a laptop that is bought with a Windows license then the same install would have to be done to conduct valid testing. It's possible they decide not to install all Windows features that they might otherwise install, but those are just features which can be installed later on. If there's other configuration that would need to be done then it would be needed for a clean install as well, so there'd again be no difference.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That likely depends on what testing they do. Presumably they'd have to install all the correct drivers to be able to conduct valid tests of the system. And if a standard out-of-the-box install is what comes on a laptop that is bought with a Windows license then the same install would have to be done to conduct valid testing. It's possible they decide not to install all Windows features that they might otherwise install, but those are just features which can be installed later on. If there's other configuration that would need to be done then it would be needed for a clean install as well, so there'd again be no difference.
AFAIK it's a soak test. I do know from posts on here that they don't do a full functionality test, so assuming what the testing OS contains is just conjecture.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Which has no bearing on activating and configuring what's installed on the machine since it's presumably Windows.
But not necessarily complete nor fully configured.

If you order without an OS and think that activating an unknown test system that happens to be on there is a wise or sensible thing to do, then by all means go ahead. But please don't come back on here complaining that this or that isn't working.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You can either accept what you’re being told or carry on with a badly performing laptop which you’ve nerfed anyway to the point you may as well have chosen much lower specs.

If ordering without windows, the test windows can not be activated as it’s not configured correctly, it’s just a base windows image with enough to get the main components stress test achieved.

You are supposed to clean install once you receive the machine as has been told to you since the end of June.

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
You can either accept what you’re being told or carry on with a badly performing laptop which you’ve nerfed anyway to the point you may as well have chosen much lower specs.

If ordering without windows, the test windows can not be activated as it’s not configured correctly, it’s just a base windows image with enough to get the main components stress test achieved.

You are supposed to clean install once you receive the machine as has been told to you since the end of June.

In fairness to him, I’ve clean installed windows twice on this laptop and I can still fry eggs on it. Trying the repaste today hopefully it helps.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster

Considering that even if Windows is already activated it's an unknown test system and not necessarily configured correctly (I was told that this is the case) then activating Windows myself would be identical. Even if PCS activates Windows there's no telling what features they've installed, etc. It's literally no different except for the activation. It's not possible for it to be if they actually perform valid testing of the system.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
In fairness to him, I’ve clean installed windows twice on this laptop and I can still fry eggs on it. Trying the repaste today hopefully it helps.

Of course it makes no difference. Just as reinstalling the same drivers and other software that PCS already installed doesn't make a difference.

I already sent the machine back for a refund (not specifically because of the temperatures).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Of course it makes no difference. Just as reinstalling the same drivers and other software that PCS already installed doesn't make a difference.

I already sent the machine back for a refund (not specifically because of the temperatures).
The number of issues that people have had over the years I've been on here from simply activating the 'test' system is clear evidence that there is a difference

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
And yet plenty of people have problems with systems that come with Windows already activated. And, as evidenced, people who reinstall Windows.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
And yet plenty of people have problems with systems that come with Windows already activated. And, as evidenced, people who reinstall Windows.

And almost all of those problems are because they've had a glitch with the OOBE, added new hardware, new software, used third party driver update tools, run registry cleaners, used tune-up tools, followed the advice of questionable websites or other people, etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Considering that even if Windows is already activated it's an unknown test system and not necessarily configured correctly (I was told that this is the case) then activating Windows myself would be identical. Even if PCS activates Windows there's no telling what features they've installed, etc. It's literally no different except for the activation. It's not possible for it to be if they actually perform valid testing of the system.
This is just you not understanding how a vendor installs the OS.

It’s not correct.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
And almost all of those problems are because they've had a glitch with the OOBE, added new hardware, new software, used third party driver update tools, run registry cleaners, used tune-up tools, followed the advice of questionable websites or other people, etc.

What's the ratio of them? How many are "self-inflicted" vs those that are "whatever else" vs those that are from activating the pre-installed Windows? And how many who activate the pre-installed Windows have no problems?

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster

It’s not correct.
In what way do they install Windows differently to how they would do it if the license had been purchased by the customer? How do they validate that everything is working if what they're setting up and sending on isn't in a working state, except for a valid license?

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster

It’s not correct.
And no, it's not just my understanding. There's no way to know what features they've installed even if the customer purchases the license. Well, perhaps if the customer is cyber-psychic or something.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And no, it's not just my understanding. There's no way to know what features they've installed even if the customer purchases the license. Well, perhaps if the customer is cyber-psychic or something.
Like I said, it's not understanding how a company like PCS install an OS. They don't do it in the way you would.

They have a centralised distribution point with images based on each chassis and configuration.

They then connect however many laptops need building, say 300 to the distibution point, it works out what hardware specs it is and installs the relevant image. The image is embedded with all the relevant drivers and patches. These aren't done independently.

This is called a Gold Build.

This is not what would be installed for testing, it would just be a base windows installation with default drivers as there's no need for full installation for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.