How many changes you have to make when you get drunk and order your dream pc :/

thocau

Was a VERY merry Christmas night what was a good idea then turned into alot of changes. Looking forward to the end result tho.

CaseCORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 1000D FULL TOWER CASE (LS)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: LIAN LI O11DYNAMIC XL ROG CERTIFIED GAMING CASE
Custom Liquid Cooling KitLiquid Series RGB High Kit - Corsair Hydro X
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Liquid Series RGB Lian Li PC011D – EK
TubingClear Flexible Tubing (Metallic Fittings)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Clear Hardline Acrylic Tubing (Metallic Fittings)
Graphics Card CoolingGPU Water Block - For One Graphics Card!
Coolant ColourMayhems Pastel Red
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Mayhems X1 Clear
LED Lighting2x 50cm Red LED Strip
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Overclocked CPUOverclocked Intel® Core™ i9-10900K 10 Core (3.7GHz @ up to 5.1GHz)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) - ARGB Ready
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO Wi-Fi (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
3rd Storage Drive6TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: ASUS ROG STRIX 1000W MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Braided Power Supply CablesCORSAIR Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit Pro - Red
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit Pro - White

thocau

Yes it will be in a couple more months, its the liquid series build with the EK dist plate in the back of the case.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Rather you than me for a liquid series! I haven’t got the time or the inclination to deal with an open loop, too much maintenance involved.

There’s actually a few things I’d change about this system if I was making a spec but if it is indeed your dream build then more power to you 👍

thocau

Looks like it but Intel for some reason, strange as the far better intel is out in weeks and still not as good as AMD.
AMD and there history with me go along way and since turning to intel i have never had a processor or card fail on the contrary with AMD where every component iv ever had (last being a A10 CPU) has 100% failed within 3 years so i just dont trust spending the money with them.

Rather you than me for a liquid series! I haven’t got the time or the inclination to deal with an open loop, too much maintenance involved.

There’s actually a few things I’d change about this system if I was making a spec but if it is indeed your dream build then more power to you 👍
Im up for the challenge but i think i will take out a service plan for it until i get 100% upto scratch with the maintenance. This is the first pre-built i have bought apart from a TinyPC back in the 90's when roller coaster tycoon was the biggi.

Haaaaaaang on, is the LIAN LI O11DYNAMIC available?!
Yes i hope its available ;) i changed it from the 1000D as i needed to buy a separate property to house that monstrous case.

Gavras

Master Poster
AMD and there history with me go along way and since turning to intel i have never had a processor or card fail on the contrary with AMD where every component iv ever had (last being a A10 CPU) has 100% failed within 3 years so i just dont trust spending the money with them.

Im up for the challenge but i think i will take out a service plan for it until i get 100% upto scratch with the maintenance. This is the first pre-built i have bought apart from a TinyPC back in the 90's when roller coaster tycoon was the biggi.

Yes i hope its available ;) i changed it from the 1000D as i needed to buy a separate property to house that monstrous case.
Intel are currently sitting at the bottom of a very dark hole.

they are going back to TSMC cap in hand as they are struggling with getting to same architectural level as AMD.

you can mix experience with AMD cards and AMD CPU’s, if you did that then Intel storage and cards would mean Intel would cease as a company, as they are terrible products.

Okay, so you went Intel with all its well documented real world security and architecture issues, as long as you are happy with that, then that’s fine.

Admittedly Rocket lake is out in a couple weeks, likely available before you get your rig.

It is a PCIe 4.0 CPU, it is faster and apparently more stable than current Intel CPU’s.

If wanting to go Intel I would seriously look at Rocket lake.

Yes there is always a new thing around the corner, however this is imminent and gives far more than current rubbish.

thocau

Intel are currently sitting at the bottom of a very dark hole.

they are going back to TSMC cap in hand as they are struggling with getting to same architectural level as AMD.

you can mix experience with AMD cards and AMD CPU’s, if you did that then Intel storage and cards would mean Intel would cease as a company, as they are terrible products.

Okay, so you went Intel with all its well documented real world security and architecture issues, as long as you are happy with that, then that’s fine.

Admittedly Rocket lake is out in a couple weeks, likely available before you get your rig.

It is a PCIe 4.0 CPU, it is faster and apparently more stable than current Intel CPU’s.

If wanting to go Intel I would seriously look at Rocket lake.

Yes there is always a new thing around the corner, however this is imminent and gives far more than current rubbish.
Fully get these points and agree both have there up and down sides but i can only go by experience. When i bought a ford to drive for 10 years then tried a VW the next time it became clear where corners where being cut. The only thing i can say with AMD is what i have experienced in the past and for that i can only say Intel is the type of reliability i require for my setup.

I was holding on for RL but unfortunately i think when the boards and processor first hit retail they will be out of my price-range, maybe a year down the line and i could think of investing in that.

Next time i buy a new PC(3 years) and if AMD continue with a good track record i will put serious consideration into it but this time i didnt even give it a thought.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I genuinely wouldn't recommend that build. Especially if longevity is a key point. The budget is clearly there for a monster build so I'm guessing the budget will be there to upgrade to the next iteration of high end GPU. By this point PCIe4.0 will be very relevant, which this system won't have.

thocau

I genuinely wouldn't recommend that build. Especially if longevity is a key point. The budget is clearly there for a monster build so I'm guessing the budget will be there to upgrade to the next iteration of high end GPU. By this point PCIe4.0 will be very relevant, which this system won't have.
If i sacrifice on cooling i could afford the upgrade for sure but if this is the choice i would not require a pre-built, only components.

Gavras

Master Poster
Fully get these points and agree both have there up and down sides but i can only go by experience. When i bought a ford to drive for 10 years then tried a VW the next time it became clear where corners where being cut. The only thing i can say with AMD is what i have experienced in the past and for that i can only say Intel is the type of reliability i require for my setup.

I was holding on for RL but unfortunately i think when the boards and processor first hit retail they will be out of my price-range, maybe a year down the line and i could think of investing in that.

Next time i buy a new PC(3 years) and if AMD continue with a good track record i will put serious consideration into it but this time i didnt even give it a thought.
Ah I can see where you went wrong you mentioned Ford 🤦‍♂️

I do feel sorry for anyone having a Ford.

Then swapping to VW 🤦‍♂️

when buying cheap cars, you unfortunately have to accept limitations and issues.

laughing here at though of buying a new pc in 3 years.

I tend to do 10 years between upgrades.

just think, if you went for a 10 year PC build, you could buy a proper car.

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
I recently purchased a computer with the AMD 5950X. My last machine was Intel, and previously I’ve had an AMD Phenom II X4 and a dual core Athlon. I did however have an excellent experience with the AMD Radeon HD 8970M in my gaming laptop and it’s still going strong.

I previously had problems with AMD too and it took a lot of persuasion to switch from the 10900K to an AMD processor. I do recall my old AMD machine being really slow and with the stock fan you’d think I had a jumbo jet.

Whilst AMD CPUs are finicky and picky when it comes to things like RAM, if you have the right setup you’ll have no problems.

Comparing my 5950X to the i9 9900X that is in our house, the AMD processor is a monster in comparison - although granted that the AMD had an extra 6 cores.

Does blast out a lot of heat when gaming, but it keeps the room toasty in this cold weather 😁

Stephen M

Author Level
AMD's progress in the last few years is astonishing and probably surprised everyone on these fora.

Intel have stagnated, plus they have more security vulnerabilities and thermal issues than AMD.

thocau

AMD's progress in the last few years is astonishing and probably surprised everyone on these fora.

Intel have stagnated, plus they have more security vulnerabilities and thermal issues than AMD.
Thermal issues shouldn't be a problem with the LC series i hope.
Security issues are everywhere especially with the company's that hold your data i bet they don't use AMD based machines either solely based upon security flaws and also they don't give you a choice how its held either.