How much space to leave on an SSD?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I know that for HDDs, the recommendation is to leave 15% to 20% free so the drive can be defragged and all that fun stuff, but I was wondering how much should be left free on an SSD? Googling the issue seems to suggest it's down to opinion, as every site seems to say different things.

I have a 2TB M.2 drive purely for games, and was wondering what the lower limit should be on space available to keep it running efficiently. I've been keeping it at around 450GB minimum which is about 25% of my 1.81Tb free. I'll be honest, seeing everyone pre-loading Mass Effect ready for release is giving me FOMO and I'm tempted to buy, but not sure if 350Gb is going to be enough or if the drive will start getting noticeably slower.

Any thoughts?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know that for HDDs, the recommendation is to leave 15% to 20% free so the drive can be defragged and all that fun stuff, but I was wondering how much should be left free on an SSD? Googling the issue seems to suggest it's down to opinion, as every site seems to say different things.

I have a 2TB M.2 drive purely for games, and was wondering what the lower limit should be on space available to keep it running efficiently. I've been keeping it at around 450GB minimum which is about 25% of my 1.81Tb free. I'll be honest, seeing everyone pre-loading Mass Effect ready for release is giving me FOMO and I'm tempted to buy, but not sure if 350Gb is going to be enough or if the drive will start getting noticeably slower.

Any thoughts?
I know in the old days when SATA SSDs first hit the scene it was generally advised to be 10%. I’m sure things have changed with NVME M2’s but I haven’t looked into it and still work by the 10% rule.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I know in the old days when SATA SSDs first hit the scene it was generally advised to be 10%. I’m sure things have changed with NVME M2’s but I haven’t looked into it and still work by the 10% rule.
I like this answer. Mass Effect it is then...

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 41971

Any thoughts?

maybe worth a read if you have not seen it already

people have heard of the great library of alexandria,

soon they will hear about the great games library of Denz ;)