How often do you clean your PC?

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
My computer is finally being built after a 1 month wait. I'm wondering, how often do users tend to open and clean their computers? I don't want it to get clogged up and die, which is what has happened to my existing computer.

D

Deleted member 17413

Depending on how dusty the room can get, I would blow it out every 4 to 6 months.
Fans and radiators and any filters.

I think that way you should never get any big build up, and it will help it run efficiently.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just cleaned out my PC for the first time in about 4 years. I'm not saying that's a good thing to do at all, but that's what I did.

Ideally I'd say every year. Does depend if you have an AIO watercooler or air cooler, aircoolers need cleaning more regularly than AIO's.

D

Deleted member 17413

There are some really good electronic air dusters on things like Amazon, if you get one I suggest picking a model with different power settings just so youve got a bit more control over it.

I bought one and it was like a jet machine, no lower power setting. I'd be scared to put it inside a case.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would always recommend 6-12 months..... I'll get round to doing mine at some point though (18 months and counting).

Mine is in a cupboard which doesn't have a lot of dust though.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I clean my desktop PC a couple of times a year. I remove all panels, wash all filters and carefully clean all fan blades. I also wipe the dust off all surfaces I can (which is most). Because I do it so often it's an easy job as nothing is terribly dusty but there is always enough dust around to make it worthwhile.

I've noticed that here on Crete, where we have tiled floors, that there is more dust in the PC than in the UK, where we had carpeted floors.

My laptop now gets much less use, so I clean that only once a year, sometimes less if I've not used it.

I find it very satisfying knowing that the cooling systems are running at peak efficiency, in the hot summers here that's important.

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for sharing your stories. It seems that enthusiast websites recommend around every 3-6 months, but people rarely do that in reality. I'm not quite an enthusiast, but definitely want my computers to run more quietly. I've just ordered a Compucleaner XPert. Hopefully that will do the trick!

I've worked in plenty of offices with computers, and I don't think any of them get regular cleans. Though I have heard hardware support people talk about graphics cards overheating due to dust.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just ordered a Compucleaner XPert.
I've got one of these as well, you can get them on amazon, well worth it, they're amazing! They have a low and high setting and various nozzles depending on what you're cleaning.

EDIT: Only area I'd pay particular attention would be fan blades, reduce the flow to lowest setting as spinning the fans past their designed rotational speeds could damage the bearings and cause a nasty noise.

Last edited:

slimbob

Enthusiast
I clean mine every 6 months, the house isn't too dusty and no pets at present. I use to use compressed air but one time a bit of moisture squirted out and I panicked big time as water and P.Cs are not a match made in heaven. I must of got a faulty can but since then I use an air bed foot pump with a very small nozzle which is really good and it puts my mind at rest knowing no moisture will make a unwelcome appearance.

I have never taken of my heat sink or thoroughly cleaned my CPU fan as I am a bit scared to take it off as I think I would need to do re paste job. . I have had my P.C from PCS for 7 years so I have been very lucky with it. I am sure keeping it dust free as best I can has helped in some way.

Happy cleaning!! :)