How smart is your home?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Attempting to put this into perspective here.....

JRaxn3b.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just ask Alexa to do the okey kokey...............

Have you tried whisper mode? Should get her to talk dirty to you in whisper mode. If you haven't tried it, whisper to her..... she will ask if you want to activate whisper mode, just say yes and then whisper "Alexa, talk dirty to me". Or anything else you can think of. It's hilarious but creepy in the dark at night.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Alexa Show in the office.
Alexa 2nd Gen in the living room.
Alexa dot x2
Google mini (missus got it randomly from spotify).

Three smart bulbs.
Ring Doorbell and Indoor Cam + a few smart RGB strips so nothing too fancy.

I have a smart plug that I only bring out at Christmas for the tree.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My home is incredibly smart - when I'm in it of course. 🤭

In terms of smart devices we don't have a single one. Perhaps its because I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see the point. Smart devices, and especially Alexa type devices, look like a solution looking for a problem.

And yes, I do know that I'm old and out of touch. 🦖

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My home is incredibly smart - when I'm in it of course. 🤭

In terms of smart devices we don't have a single one. Perhaps its because I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see the point. Smart devices, and especially Alexa type devices, look like a solution looking for a problem.

And yes, I do know that I'm old and out of touch. 🦖
I had an interview recently, they wouldn't proceed until I'd video'd myself with a live webcam walking around the house turning off any alarm clock / alexa by unplugging it, then I had to sign a form to say I'd done so.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I had an interview recently, they wouldn't proceed until I'd video'd myself with a live webcam walking around the house turning off any alarm clock / alexa by unplugging it, then I had to sign a form to say I'd done so.

The MoD don't mess around (Guessing it was a defence contract of sorts).... and to be fair, they're right....

Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg

I'm quite fortunate in that I don't need to worry too much about my voice security. There's nothing I would ever care about, really, without winning millions on the lottery or something and pulling intense scrutiny.... and by that time I wouldn't care as I'd won millions on the lottery or something anyway. Things always come out the woodwork, could you imagine my army of datees?

CMP01

Enthusiast
WiP here.

We got Alexa/Echo Dot etc a few months ago. Yes, with an intention to go somewhat more all out than we yet have re lighting aso.
Tbh we've used Alexa so little (probably directly correlated to not doing more) that she's started jumping into conversations without being prompted...

Eh, it's on the list.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
WiP here.

We got Alexa/Echo Dot etc a few months ago. Yes, with an intention to go somewhat more all out than we yet have re lighting aso.
Tbh we've used Alexa so little (probably directly correlated to not doing more) that she's started jumping into conversations without being prompted...

Eh, it's on the list.
Ask her to do the hoki coki 😂

CMP01

Enthusiast
Jesus, just done it, that's actually pretty great!

The best one though was the old Siri answer for 0 ÷ 0, but I see they've changed it now

I will try it out, just having to be very quiet rn as gf had some gruelling dental work done earlier and is feeling fragile.

I have asked Alexa to tell jokes though and... well, I thought I was bad re 'dad' jokes. Sure, my 'kids' are two dogs and a cat but their reactions to my humour gets a worse reaction that human teenagers would give. You ever had a cat that otherwise thinks you're the best roll their eyes at you? It hurts, even though it looks like they're having a seizure. As for the dogs... I didn't know they could sigh that heavily.