How to change default drive from SSD to Hard drive

Hey all
I opted for an SSD as my drive for my OS with a 2tb HDD as my actual storage space for my programs, saves and (shudders) work.
However, and I'm aware this is about the most greenhorn-y question anyone can ask: How do I change the default save pathway for all files from my C:\ drive (SSD) to my E:\ ?
Any help much appreciated

Also, last night when putting in a DVD for my flatmates to watch, it wouldn't run. I went onto "computer" (Windows 7 don't ya know) and saw that my system had successfully read the disk as Scrubs Season 1, but when I clicked on it to run it said something along the lines of "D:\ Pathway not found". I'll confirm this was said later, as being a uni student we were naturally intoxicated at the time, but in the meantime if anyone can shed some light onto this it would be much appreciated. I've subsequently tried other gaming disks and they've worked fine- could it just be as simple as an issue with the DVD? Thanks in advance, really appreciate any and all help!

zalmoxis

Bronze Level Poster
Hey all
I opted for an SSD as my drive for my OS with a 2tb HDD as my actual storage space for my programs, saves and (shudders) work.
However, and I'm aware this is about the most greenhorn-y question anyone can ask: How do I change the default save pathway for all files from my C:\ drive (SSD) to my E:\ ?
Any help much appreciated

Also, last night when putting in a DVD for my flatmates to watch, it wouldn't run. I went onto "computer" (Windows 7 don't ya know) and saw that my system had successfully read the disk as Scrubs Season 1, but when I clicked on it to run it said something along the lines of "D:\ Pathway not found". I'll confirm this was said later, as being a uni student we were naturally intoxicated at the time, but in the meantime if anyone can shed some light onto this it would be much appreciated. I've subsequently tried other gaming disks and they've worked fine- could it just be as simple as an issue with the DVD? Thanks in advance, really appreciate any and all help!

Hi.

The default save drive for... what?

Everything?

This is usually done in two ways:

1) On a per application basis. You set the default save path in each application.
2) By having the operating system on that drive.

So, the order usually is this:

Install new software > Save > Is there a user set location? Yes? Save there. No? Save to the drive where Windows is installed.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Many apps will install something on your C drive regardless of how you feel about it. When you say default save pathways, what exactly do you mean? When you install something it auto installs to E? If I remember rightly that's a massive farce and you are just as well manually selecting the install location during the installation process. As far as the folders where you actually save stuff, they can be done on an individual basis within the individual software you use.

As far as the DVD, it looks like it cant find the software to play it. As in its looking on the D drive but cant find the file a the expected location.

dogbot

Bright Spark
I assume that due to the size of the SSD you want to move some user folders such as My Documents, My Videos etc to another drive. In Windows 7 .....

On the HDD, create new folders of My Documents, downloads or whatever it is you want to move. In Windows Explorer go to C:\ Users\ [you\ . Right click on a folder to be moved (say, My Documents) and choose properties. Click on the 'Location' tab and then on 'Move'. Navigate to the new location created on the HDD. You will be asked (I think) if you want the data to be merged - say yes.

New replacement folders are created in place of the ones that were moved but these cannot be moved. They are in case software insists on using the old default folder path (some do). In the library I define both locations but make the HDD the default.