How to duel boot Linux with windows

Hi I plan to run both Linux and windows on my computer and I was hoping someone could tell me how, I know how to do it with to windows OS's but Las time I tried to duel boot Linux with windows I accidently wiped my hard disk :(, luckely nothing was lost and I plan to try again. The distro I plan to use is Ubuntu if that makes a difference.

Stephen M

Author Level
Ubuntu is really simple to dual boot as it will automatically partition for you. You will get a series of choices when you start the install process, one will wipe off Windows and put only Ubuntu on but another option will offer to run Ubuntu alongside Windows. You can choose to manually partition or let Ubuntu do it, I would recommend the latter if you are unsure. The only other major choice then will be how much disc space you give to each system but that is also simple.

TheGSL

Silver Level Poster
Be careful using Ubuntu, it will give you an easy option, but this is based on the assumption that
a) your windows os is already installed correctly and is in the right 'place' on the hd.
b) you know what you are doing. Ubuntu is reasonably easy to install but it still has the potential to
knacker your main os installation up.

There are plenty of guides on how to do this on the internet, just search for them.