How to find the Serial Number on an Asus TUF B550 Motherboard

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
So I want to upgrade my BIOS. And the Asus website says that I need to use a tool called BiosRenamer to rename the bios download.

Only I can't find the BIOSRenamer tool. And if it's available, it probably isn't for Linux anyway.

So I want to contact Asus technical support. Only that they require the product's serial number before you can submit the support form.

Unfortunately, I can't find the serial number on the motherboard. Maybe it is hidden somewhere that I can't see it. And I can't find it in the BIOS either.

What else could I do to try finding it? I had a look top box that came with the PC, and can't see it there either.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
☝ exactly as @ubuysa says, BIOS updates must be done under the advice of PCS otherwise your warranty is voided. However, gotta ask, why do you need a new BIOS? I would've thought that the PC would arrive with the latest?

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
Hello. Thanks for the update. Fortunately I have not tried to do anything yet, but it is good to know that PCS will help if required.:)

So my BIOS is version 0243, which from the Asus website, was published on 20th May 2020.

The latest version on the Asus website here is 0805, and was published on 3rd July 2020. The PC build date started on 20th July. So it was not updated with the latest BIOS. 3 of the 4 BIOS updates since 0243 claim improve system performance and stability. How much of a difference this makes, I don't know, but it could be nice to have.

I'm also wondering if there are any benchmarks to see if the system is performing well. For example, I ran Prime95 for 15 minutes on the machine last night. The clock speed only went to about 3.8GHz, with CPU temp at 62C. Though strangely when I tried again at lunchtime today, the clockspeed was the same but the temps shot up to 74C (all I changed was PBO disabled to Auto, but I think PBO Auto might be the same as disabled). Perhaps doing at night vs during the day made the difference?

edgetrading

Bronze Level Poster
P.S. The case is a Fractal Meshify C. At some point I want to move the stock front fan to rear top exhaust. And add 2 Noctua AF14's to the front. I've already got the fans, but have not attempted the installation yet, and looking at how tight the cable management it could be tricky as I can't even work out where the front fan's power cable goes.

If I do the above, will it void the warranty, or do I need to discuss with PCS first?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I want to upgrade my BIOS. And the Asus website says that I need to use a tool called BiosRenamer to rename the bios download.

Only I can't find the BIOSRenamer tool. And if it's available, it probably isn't for Linux anyway.

So I want to contact Asus technical support. Only that they require the product's serial number before you can submit the support form.

Unfortunately, I can't find the serial number on the motherboard. Maybe it is hidden somewhere that I can't see it. And I can't find it in the BIOS either.

What else could I do to try finding it? I had a look top box that came with the PC, and can't see it there either.
TBH, I really wouldn’t touch the BIOS without advice from PCS. You don’t need to rename a BIOS file to flash it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
P.S. The case is a Fractal Meshify C. At some point I want to move the stock front fan to rear top exhaust. And add 2 Noctua AF14's to the front. I've already got the fans, but have not attempted the installation yet, and looking at how tight the cable management it could be tricky as I can't even work out where the front fan's power cable goes.

If I do the above, will it void the warranty, or do I need to discuss with PCS first?
No, you can make any amendments to the build without affecting warranty.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm also wondering if there are any benchmarks to see if the system is performing well. For example, I ran Prime95 for 15 minutes on the machine last night. The clock speed only went to about 3.8GHz, with CPU temp at 62C. Though strangely when I tried again at lunchtime today, the clockspeed was the same but the temps shot up to 74C (all I changed was PBO disabled to Auto, but I think PBO Auto might be the same as disabled). Perhaps doing at night vs during the day made the difference?

PBO is precision boost overdrive. It’s the automatic overclock that AMD apply, without it you’ll be missing out on masses of performance.