How to overclock?

spyglys

Bronze Level Poster
I recently bought a new laptop (not from pcs and it was cheap) and now i want to know can i overclock it?
The CPU is a AMD A8-3520M Quad core running at 1.6GHz base with turbo to 2.3GHz (problem is tho as far as ive read that it doesnt enable turbo that often...)
I want to overlock to to a safe clock speed?
Any ideas on my first steps cause i'm a total noob at this...

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
i'm no expert but I would say overclocking a laptop is a bad idea, just because you can't really customize the cooling, and i know laptops get hot as it is, it could just dramatically reduce the life of your cpu.

that being said i'm pretty sure it was also void your warranty.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'm no expert but I would say overclocking a laptop is a bad idea, just because you can't really customize the cooling, and i know laptops get hot as it is, it could just dramatically reduce the life of your cpu.

that being said i'm pretty sure it was also void your warranty.

What he said :)

@spyglys dont do it, you probably wont gain much other than more heat, or maybe a dead cpu/mobo

spyglys

Bronze Level Poster
The thing is it has a turbo mode that enables it to 2.3GHz but at normal it runs at 1.6GHz which doesnt sound that it is using it full potential

Buzz

Master
Turbo mode will usually only spike the load under pressure. If you have turbo mode on, run Prime95 or some benchmark you prefer and run the cores on full load, while at same time install Core temp and while the benchmark is running look to see what your frequency run at. It should if turbo is on ramp up to that 2.3 your looking for and drop again when not needed.

spyglys

Bronze Level Poster
1.jpg
I did that and when my pc is on it shows that on 5GHz? is that right? cause my laptop supposedly is only clocked at 1.6GHz? explain please?