How to power a case fan by AA batteries

David689

Gold Level Poster
Hi,

I am looking into jerry rigging a system for creating heat in the event of a power cut. You tube has these various methods and one involves a free standing 120mm computer case fan. I am looking for advice on how I might power such a fan with AA batteries. I have a device for urgent phone charging, that uses an AA battery and has a USB socket. So could I, without soldering (I have no such skill) power a 120mm computer case fan via a USB socket? I suspect I would need some kind of adapter? I realise this is not a mainstream situation so a simple off the peg device may not exist.

Thank you for indulging me by reading this.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fan is purely positive and negative, the only others are to do with voltage variation but that has no relation to on/off. So you simply need +- at 5amp (which usb supplies)
Hi,

I am looking into jerry rigging a system for creating heat in the event of a power cut. You tube has these various methods and one involves a free standing 120mm computer case fan. I am looking for advice on how I might power such a fan with AA batteries. I have a device for urgent phone charging, that uses an AA battery and has a USB socket. So could I, without soldering (I have no such skill) power a 120mm computer case fan via a USB socket? I suspect I would need some kind of adapter? I realise this is not a mainstream situation so a simple off the peg device may not exist.

Thank you for indulging me by reading this.

David689

Gold Level Poster
Fan is purely positive and negative, the only others are to do with voltage variation but that has no relation to on/off. So you simply need +- at 5amp (which usb supplies)
So something like this would work?

Or this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So something like this would work?

Or this?

Depends what kind of a fan it is

If it's a very basic no speed variation fan, then it may well be powered by molex which is the older power connector on a PSU

Otherwise it will either be a 3 pin or 4 pin fan with a far smaller connector that goes into the motherboard. These you'd have to be sure it has the right size connector.

But there are loads of different styles of fans, so you'd need to work out what you're using

David689

Gold Level Poster
Depends what kind of a fan it is

If it's a very basic no speed variation fan, then it may well be powered by molex which is the older power connector on a PSU

Otherwise it will either be a 3 pin or 4 pin fan with a far smaller connector that goes into the motherboard. These you'd have to be sure it has the right size connector.

But there are loads of different styles of fans, so you'd need to work out what you're using
So would the above two items work if the fan sys it has a four pin molec eg https://www.cclonline.com/blackfan1...QXWTuFjVmfQK5gBKc_nI1fE-zkQ0xghRoCKbIQAvD_BwE
?
Thank you