How's everyone doing?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for the kind thoughts...I have to say I am quite lucky that my parents live near enough to help me....my Mum was amazing long before this happened but now she makes me extra meals etc. Luckily, she lives by a Tesco so can pick and choose when she goes there so as to avoid the crowds.

Shows I am into? A range really...Sci-Fi (Picard and Westworld....eagerly awaiting the premiere of Star Trek Discovery Season 3), drama (NCIS, FBI, Blue Bloods, the Chicago Shows), action (9-1-1, Hawaii Five-O, S.W.A.T, Seal Team), medical shows (The Resident, New Amsterdam)...I could go on and on!!

While my favourite shows are NCIS and Star Trek (am currently watching DS9 and Voyager on DVD), I do have an affinity for medical shows....am sure my username gives a big clue as to what I used to do before my health issues...my all-time favourite show is E.R.
I’m really enjoying Star Trek: Picard, I absolutely love Picard, he’s probably my favourite captain and one of my all time heroes as a real person too, great man.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Really enjoyed the 1st season and look forward to the 2nd. I'm struggling a little bit as he is getting on now and a shadow of his former self.

However, wholeheartedly agree, best Captain ever.... once of the best characters ever and so well played by Patrick Stewart. Wouldn't have had anywhere near the same sort of impact without the pairing being spot on.

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
I am (now unemployed) chef. Was a bit hectic - was living in Berlin then just packed my bags and was gone in 2 days. Back in UK since 16th March. Was a long drive. I am now living with my mum and brother, spoiling them with delicious meals every day! Here's some of the stuff I been doing in the last week:

Carbonara - no cream! If you don't overcook the eggs, it will be nice and creamy in texture :)

Xd4ynm.jpg

Beef & pancetta bolognese

OY9Rqu.jpg

Creamy vodka & salmon pasta

l0Hukb.jpg

Chicken, with jus sauce. Mash potatoes & broccoli. The sauce took hours to make.

Sirloin steaks, salad with sauteed potatoes (in garlic, thyme, butter and parsley... ooh yeah!)

Sorry for vertical filming, these videos were intended for mobile viewing (instagram stories etc)

Stephen M

Author Level
Agree with you all about Patrick Stewart. Not only is he a great actor he still is very supportive of theatre of all sorts, he has done a lot of Shakespeare and a few years back toured doing Waiting for Godot - he does things like this because he loves it and can afford to with the money he makes from the big time stuff. It is great when people put stuff back in like that.

Another actor who also did a lot for theatre was Kate O'Mara - never saw her in Dysentry or whatever it was as cannot stand soap operas but she did a lot of Shakespeare and was happy to fund touring theatre to do the classics.

Picard series has been excellent and I have really enjoyed Discovery, loved the idea of having Spock as a bearded loon. Would like to think they can persuade Anson Mount to do some more, he was really good as Captain Pike and I am sure they can fit a couple of series into the timeline before he has to melt into a wheelchair.

Glad you are "enjoying" the opera Ubuysa, yes Siegfreid does go on a bit.

Stephen M

Author Level
I liked the original series but as am in what the politically correct would call the "old git" category, so was around to see it when first aired and it was well ahead for its day. Got the new Blu Ray version a while back and is interesting to compare the original along the enhanced versions, they do the two versions of each episode.

Wish I could find the article but read an interesting piece a while back about restoring and converting old film to Blu Ray and the older series are often easier than the more recent ones. The reason being that cine film, 35 mm or whatever it was, had a much higher quality than the video tape that came into use. Apparently converting TOS was simpler than doing TNG, which was done because it was so popular but Voyager was not because the popularity, compared to TNG, did not justify the expense.

The other restored Blu Ray series I have got out again is Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner, still my favourite series.

Stephen M

Author Level
Have enjoyed discussing Star Trek but thought about returning to original topic. I am currently doing my main room up and was very surprised to see some pictures I have ordered will be arriving tomorrow, especially as they are coming from Hamburg and thought delivery of non-essentials could well be delayed.

Luckily I can now spend a few days hanging some nice reproductions from the likes of Klimt, Kandinsky, Schiele and Monet, plus a good few others. If anyone feels like brightening their room up there is some great stuff here: https://www.myartprints.co.uk/

Finally a quick question for Ubuysa, how did you get on with Götterdämmerung? It is one of my favourites.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Am guessing it was this article, or at least something similar:

No future ST BR releases

Yep, the TOS they could literally just transfer straight from the 35mm film, touch it up and release it....TNG they, basically, went back to the negatives and built all 178 episodes from the ground up, to a cost of $12 million plus the thousands of man hours....the sales did not match their expectations so there will unlikely be a blu-ray of either Voyager or DS9...sahme as I do like both series and the difference in quality between them and TNG is ridiculous (was recently watching one disc of TNG blu-ray and then one disc of DS9 DVD in same order as they aired so going straight from BR to DVD was noticeable each time).

Interesting how we have gone from a discussion about how everybody is faring to discussing the merits of Star Trek 🤣

To be fair I noticed this a while back as Netflix has the higher quality version of TNG and the change to DS9 first season is so jarring!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Finally a quick question for Ubuysa, how did you get on with Götterdämmerung? It is one of my favourites.
Like the other three it was long. I found myself wanting things to hurry up, you could have told the whole ring cycle story in about 10 minutes!

To be brutally honest the thing that I enjoyed most was 'The Machine', the 45 ton hydraulically operated set which created all the scene settings. It was a massive structure consisting of 30 aluminium planks, each 26-feet long, that could be independently rotated into the most incredible shapes with intelligent 3D projections that responded to the performers movements using both sensors that they wore and laser tracking. The machine provided all the settings, from the Rhine to Brunhilde's fiery mountaintop. It's marvel of mechanical and software engineering and an awesome bit of kit. You can see it at work in the trailer here.

Stephen M

Author Level
There is a great story about the conductor Sir Thomas Beecham, who is reputed to have whispered to the leader of the Orchestra during Götterdämmerung: "Three and a half hours and still the same bloody tune."

Wagner's concept of music theatre is really brought home by the Met production and there have been other great ones. I was lucky enough to see it at the Deutsche Oper in Berlin. Their set was a sort of time tunnel and the illusion was so good it was impossible to see where the set finished and the painted backdrop started. It seemed to be far to long for the building, I even walked around it a few days later just to see how long the building was.