How's your new Ionico 17 laptop doing?

barlew

Godlike
Too large forum says.
But I literally googled for it.
I'm reading it now on my laptop. For some reason my tablet wouldn't open it.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0875h-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html for those interested.

As predicted PL1 is a configurable limit as stated by Intel.

Granted Intel states their recommendation is to set PL1 to the TDP but they also state that it should be set to a figure which the thermal dissipation mechanism can handle. 5.1.3.1.

So apologies @Macco26 you are partly correct.

However these are not set in stone they are what Intel recommend based upon the testing they have done with a standardised thermal dissipation solution. In this case the Thermal Dissipation is 45W average.

The reason basically every OEM known to man set the PL1 state higher is because they have designed thermal dissipation solutions which maximise productivity of the chip. My point stands that you are buying a laptop which is configured and advertised to perform in a certain way. If the laptop overheats when being used in that manner it is clearly not fit for purpose.

I still hold the opinion that if you are buying a high end gaming laptop which advertises a level of performance you are absolutely mugging yourself off by retarding the laptops performance by reducing its factory settings just to make it work.

As previously stated I have had two different laptops with this chip in and neither have been set to 45W PL1 out of the box and neither have had cooling issues. The one I am currently writing this on is set to 70W PL1 on the standard setting and it runs unbelievably cool.

Macco26

Expert
For sure Tongfang thermal design keep in mind the beefier thermal dissipation required by higher than recommended PL1/TDP. But this at a cost of likely reduced lifespan and noise for sure (that heat can't be removed unless almost flying with a Jet engine).
I won't conflict factory settings, as in the new Control Center you have literally sliders for PL4, PL2 and PL1 at your fingers. It's Tongfang themselves saying: you want gaming quietly? Bring those down.
They can't say: you want to let our laptop live longer than 3 years warranty? Bring those sliders down, but I'll do that also for this reason.

My old Clevo four "burnt VRMs" episodes occurred right around the 3rd year mark and then in quick succession one after the other.
The lifetime planned by the ODM was expired, I guess. But I count to push this new one slightly more than 3 years, or at least I'll try.

Greenman

Enthusiast
Those temps do seem excessive. My last TongFang put me off anyways. Be interesting to see the longevity of these.

Cenksenci

Bronze Level Poster
Yuu guys have lots of knowledge about detailed specs regardless of who is right or not. Wish I could understand half of these :(

Long story short; I won't push the limits of my future ionico. If I ever have to struggle with high temperature issue, I'll try to fix it by getting contact with PCS. Second option: By 3rd party programs that you guys mentioned. I have no idea about how to do undervoltage or what voltage value do I need... But I will try to figure it out. Thanks anyway guys, love you all.

kshnnnn

If PCS have the link to CC 3.x, then why don't they just install that for us upon building the laptop? Doesn't make sense, they're just creating more work for themselves.

Macco26

Expert
If PCS have the link to CC 3.x, then why don't they just install that for us upon building the laptop? Doesn't make sense, they're just creating more work for themselves.
I have literally no idea. After 1 week full of Ionico already delivered they should have populated the driver's page of every owner, at the least. Instead they came with nothing or an ancient Control Center. They are stressing their live chat workers this way..

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
I have a Ionico as well .. When i received i had issues with the CPU dropping to 700 while plugged in and the GPU reaching 86 degrees celcius. After i did a full windows reinstall and since then the CPU is stable. Did some googling for high GPU temps for laptops - it seems that if you add the game under Windows Graphics Settings, it will normalize the GPU and CPU temps and usage.

Windows Settings --> Graphics Settings --> Choose An app to set preference
For me, i play COD Warzone, i selected the Call Of Duty Wazone.exe and NOT the Call of Duty Warzone Launcher.exe and then selected GPU 3070

After i did this the GPU temps are normal..

Does someone has the CC v3 ? i cannot get anyone from PCS support on a call..

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Watching Jarrods review of the ryzen 7 3070 (similar), this seems to hit CPU 94-95degC under gaming. I think it was a pre production model but he did not seem too fazed by this temp other than to comment it was probably throttling at 95degC. Maybe this is the new norm, provided the cpu's are designed for it. Has anyone checked Intel's position on this? Surely standard operation should not be so close to a throttling temp?
Ps - I thought the 7nm architecture of the ryzen was supposed to reduce power consumption and hence CPU temp on a comparable chassis???
Pps- think I may upgrade to gold too...
Thought I may upgrade to gold for another £64... went amend and it's now another £86!!! No amendment cost, just bumped up gold. I'll probably take my chances and stay with Silver as that annoyed me. Is this normal? Build started today which may have affected this.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thought I may upgrade to gold for another £64... went amend and it's now another £86!!! No amendment cost, just bumped up gold. I'll probably take my chances and stay with Silver as that annoyed me. Is this normal? Build started today which may have affected this.
There's a bug in the configurator and any amendments are incurring a surcharge for the windows version, it may be related to that.

I'd suggest not upgrading the warranty through the configurator, give them a call or email and they'll be able to do it at normal cost.

You've got up to the time the warranty you ordered runs out to upgrade it, so if you ordered the standard warranty, you've got a month to upgrade to whatever you like.

barlew

Godlike
Wow that is interesting. I wonder why the prices have been hiked up.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
There's a bug in the configurator and any amendments are incurring a surcharge for the windows version, it may be related to that.

I'd suggest not upgrading the warranty through the configurator, give them a call or email and they'll be able to do it at normal cost.

You've got up to the time the warranty you ordered runs out to upgrade it, so if you ordered the standard warranty, you've got a month to upgrade to whatever you like.
I emailed PCS last week and they have just advised they will not allow me to upgrade my warranty from Silver to Gold. I have not called them to challenge yet.
Thought I would share.
If in doubt, best to select your warranty before build starts.