HTC One

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hello,

Anyone got an HTC ONE? Just looking for some feed back, i've never seen this phone in the wild and it looks awesome, i've never looked at HTC before and am going from a line of Samsung Galaxys currently the note 2 and the HTC caught my eye.

One of my friends turned it down because he said that if you don't have Facebook then there's lots you cannot do. Being a long time android user i feel that that may be an exaggeration.

Any feed back is appreciated.

Basically use it for

Internet,
Music,
Texting
Camera
WIFI Personal Spot.

Bsrz

Rising Star
I really want one! my next door neighbour has one so I have had a little look at it, things I can say it feels amazing, how ever it is the type of phone you would want to keep in a case encase you drop it :p its lightning fast, there are lots of cool features to it, the camera is OK, the htc interface I love, as with android it is a pleasure to use, lots of customizable options, beats audio combined with the front speakers are great quality and very loud, other than that there is not much to say the only real negative I can think of is the price, buts its not to bad on contract.

Yamikotai

Expert
It's basically the best phone out at the minute. The only phone I could see usurping it is the successor to the Nexus 4, which is three or four months away at least.

I know several people with an HTC One and if funds weren't an issue I'd have one myself - and that's coming from someone who has had a Galaxy S1, then an S2, and now an S3. The HTC One is better in many ways to the S4 so I'm eager to have one.

One of my friends turned it down because he said that if you don't have Facebook then there's lots you cannot do. Being a long time android user i feel that that may be an exaggeration.
Completely untrue. It's an Android phone the same as any other. You friend might have been thinking of the HTC First, which was a failed partnership phone between HTC and Facebook.

There are also Google Editions of both the HTC One and the Galaxy S4, which you might want to look at. They're not Nexus devices, but they do have pure, stock Android 4.3, with no OEM overlays like Sense or Touchwiz, but with full software (drivers etc.) support from the OEMs. Basically, an OEM-backed stock ROM :D

Last edited:

Keithg

Enthusiast

Your friend might also be talking about blinkfeed which is the main feature of sense5, this combines all of your social media (facebook, twitter etc) into a scrolling page which can replace your traditional home screen. But this is optional and can be turned off so that you have standard sense and android.

The htc one is the best android phone you can buy, no question, but htc as a company are not as good as samsung. Their main problem is the speed of updates to android, samsung are always much quicker to release new versions and will stay true to their older phones (they still update the galaxy s2 quicker than my htc one x).

but a phone it is great.

Yamikotai

Expert
The htc one is the best android phone you can buy, no question, but htc as a company are not as good as samsung. Their main problem is the speed of updates to android, samsung are always much quicker to release new versions and will stay true to their older phones (they still update the galaxy s2 quicker than my htc one x

Samsung are a bit faster but the gap is closing. And HTC have definitely improved since they realised they need to actually be a good company to stay alive - and the HTC One is the results.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If I didnt already have my Lumia 920 then I'd have gone for the HTC One (Play edition) the only problem is the camera, they thought it was a good idea to lower it to 4MP, but its not, it loses detail very quickly and the camera software available for Nokias is second to none in terms of phone cameras, better than most compacts as well. Especially with their new SDK

If it had a 8MP camera though then I'd have gone for it, but 4MP is just too low, especially as my phone is my main camera for now

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Awesome guys, that's what i like to hear.

Had a chance to play with one this weekend in CPWH and its a solid phone an think i'll trade in my note 2 for one.

Cant decide between the 2, play or sense but reading online i can just flash which ever official rom i want.

There is even a dual boot where i can boot in either mode the only thing it doesn't share is texts and contacts but thats not a biggy.

I'll leave it stock till i get board of it though.

Thanks again Guys.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Note is the other phone I love as well, my next phone will probably be a sequel to the Note or HTC One, or maybe another Lumia but they still need to do a lot of things to compete better, mainly because Microsoft is slacking in updating Windows Phone. Nokia needs to go Android seriously, Windows Phone as much as it is a good OS, is holding them back, no 1080p, no quad core and missing a fair few features that should be pretty standard by now

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I was tempted by the HTC One but my iPhone 4s contract doesn't run out until March. I don't think I'll be getting an iPhone again. I got one this time because I didn't think it was right for me to slate it without at least giving it a chance :p

I'm actually really tempted by a Windows Phone - just because my tablet is Windows, my PC and to have my phone to match would be nice. My previous phone was the HTC Desire and before that it was the HTC Touch HD (old now). I've always found the HTCs to be great, and Android is really customisable. As Wozza said though - the camera is lacking. Combining Nokia with Android would be great because their cameras are fantastic. I suspect the 4MP is just a marketing ploy though, and the next model (dare I say the HTC 'Two') will probably have a better camera ;) So maybe hold off until then if you can.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I was tempted by the HTC One but my iPhone 4s contract doesn't run out until March. I don't think I'll be getting an iPhone again. I got one this time because I didn't think it was right for me to slate it without at least giving it a chance :p

I'm actually really tempted by a Windows Phone - just because my tablet is Windows, my PC and to have my phone to match would be nice. My previous phone was the HTC Desire and before that it was the HTC Touch HD (old now). I've always found the HTCs to be great, and Android is really customisable. As Wozza said though - the camera is lacking. Combining Nokia with Android would be great because their cameras are fantastic. I suspect the 4MP is just a marketing ploy though, and the next model (dare I say the HTC 'Two') will probably have a better camera ;) So maybe hold off until then if you can.

Well I've only had my phone for about 8 months and its a 24 month contract, so ive got a long way to go, will probably be choosing between a note 5 and htc 3 by then haha :D

Also if you are tempted by WP then you have to go Nokia, the others manufacturers are making little effort for the OS whereas Nokia have released tonnes of apps and got lots of exclusive deals with big names. But it doesn't feel that fast if you are used to a snappy quick phone and customization is lacking, the phone is really held back by the animation speeds i think, takes nearly half a second to animate to the home screen, and holds up a lot when attempting to multitask, it feels smooth, no jolts or anything but thats due to loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong animation times. If I could change that I would be 10x happier, I know the S4 @1.5GHz is no powerhouse but its also no slouch and should have no problem running the OS with faster animations

Yamikotai

Expert
I always upgrade on my own mid-contract. I'll have had my S3 for a year come October but I'll probably get a black HTC One come January.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I always upgrade on my own mid-contract. I'll have had my S3 for a year come October but I'll probably get a black HTC One come January.

Yesh best way to do it, i usually just buy the phone then run a sim free contract on orange but T-mobile seems to be offering better data packages at the moment so i may shift.

Yamikotai

Expert
Yesh best way to do it, i usually just buy the phone then run a sim free contract on orange but T-mobile seems to be offering better data packages at the moment so i may shift.

3 has the best data packages as only they have decently-priced unlimited data. Plus, 4G is no extra cost.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Im not bothered about 4g i can already stream HD on a 3G network, but i've been with 3 before and didn't have a great experience with them at all.

Yamikotai

Expert
They're great when I'm at uni (~20Mb connection everywhere). When I'm at my parents' in Banbury, though, I get <1Mb connection everywhere.