Huawei, problem connecting phone to Windows10? HiSuite issue?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Setup: Huawei Y6 2017 phone + USB cable + HiSuite software on Windows 10 pc and Android phone.

Aim: downloading photos to pc from phone and general management.

Ok for past couple of years.

Problem: plugged in phone to pc as usual, pc asked for a software update. Okay. Then I realised the HiSuite connection software app had disappeared from my phone. Huh? Then I got this error message on my pc (see screengrab). It looks like the older version was removed before it got to add the update??

Anyone else seen/fixed this problem?

Attachments

• Huawei Y6 2017_HiSuite_MYA-L11_screengrab_error.jpg
    Huawei Y6 2017_HiSuite_MYA-L11_screengrab_error.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 589

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Setup: Huawei Y6 2017 phone + USB cable + HiSuite software on Windows 10 pc and Android phone.

Aim: downloading photos to pc from phone and general management.

Ok for past couple of years.

Problem: plugged in phone to pc as usual, pc asked for a software update. Okay. Then I realised the HiSuite connection software app had disappeared from my phone. Huh? Then I got this error message on my pc (see screengrab). It looks like the older version was removed before it got to add the update??

Anyone else seen/fixed this problem?
It would seem from that message that your phone needs an update. Some manufacturers are incredibly slow at pushing out updates, many seem to stop them altogether after a number of years.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you. Often a reply can be reassuring even if the fix is not available yet. :)

I waited a couple of days to see if Huawei would find and fix the problem automatically but no. I just tried their online chat (this avoids giving them everything to my inside leg measurments and just the serial number of the phone*) and...

...their suggestion was to uninstall and reinstall HiSuite on my pc. Genius. :rolleyes:

And,... no improvement. :confused:

Which is a shame because there is a very fast button that allegedly fixes a crash bug(!). Blink and you may miss it.

*At least I know where to find the details 'About phone' now. The serial number, version etc which is hidden right down at the bottom of 'Settings'.

Oh and the serial number is listed as IMEI (why not serial number?!) and customers have to submit this long serial number in their chat support as four characters only at a time or the digits default to an X. Huh?!

<sigh>

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you. Often a reply can be reassuring even if the fix is not available yet. :)

I waited a couple of days to see if Huawei would find and fix the problem automatically but no. I just tried their online chat (this avoids giving them everything to my inside leg measurments and just the serial number of the phone*) and...

...their suggestion was to uninstall and reinstall HiSuite on my pc. Genius. :rolleyes:

And,... no improvement. :confused:

Which is a shame because there is a very fast button that allegedly fixes a crash bug(!). Blink and you may miss it.

*At least I know where to find the details 'About phone' now. The serial number, version etc which is hidden right down at the bottom of 'Settings'.

Oh and the serial number is listed as IMEI (why not serial number?!) and customers have to submit this long serial number in their chat support as four characters only at a time or the digits default to an X. Huh?!

<sigh>
You know you can just transfer photos wirelessly? There’s no need to connect the phone? And no need for any software outside of android?

I take it you’ve still got Google apps on there? Or have they removed them outside of the US also?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Erm, no I didn't know that.

But I kinda want the Huawei management system I bought to just work. Tested today and it still doesn't work.

Now each time I do connect the phone to my PC, Microsoft tries to take over (and fails too). :rolleyes:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Erm, no I didn't know that.

But I kinda want the Huawei management system I bought to just work. Tested today and it still doesn't work.

Now each time I do connect the phone to my PC, Microsoft tries to take over (and fails too). :rolleyes:
Are you on the latest android version? The system is saying that your OS is too old for the app.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
I suspect you are right. :)
How would I find this out? Why doesn't either the 'Smart' phone or my PC say what version I have and suggest which version I need to install?

I thought my phone updated everything automatically whether I wanted it or not.👾

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
How would I find this out? Why doesn't either the 'Smart' phone or my PC say what version I have and suggest which version I need to install?
The phone has no connection to the PC, they're 2 entirely different OS's. The phone will notify you when an update is available in the notification bar, but the onus is on you to configure the phone on how to proceed.

You just need to go into your settings to see what version of android you're on. It would only auto update if you'd specified it to in settings.

This is for a different phone, but should be similar:

If it's out of date, you just need to update to the latest Android, you really need to be doing that immediately after an update is released, the last thing you want is to be on an outdated android, they're inherently insecure.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
I liked your link. A shame it doesn't cover older models but it was still useful.

Right so, now I have a better idea of where to look, my phone says it has the latest Android 6 already and is set to update automatically.

So kinda back to square one. But,... I haven't yet tried downloading HiSuite directly to the phone from the phone's web connection. :unsure:I have so far relied upon my usual pc connection to my pc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I liked your link. A shame it doesn't cover older models but it was still useful.

Right so, now I have a better idea of where to look, my phone says it has the latest Android 6 already and is set to update automatically.

So kinda back to square one. But,... I haven't yet tried downloading HiSuite directly to the phone from the phone's web connection. :unsure:I have so far relied upon my usual pc connection to my pc.
If it's Android 6 then the phone is well out of date and not supported anymore.

The current Android is Android 11, so a HUGE number of updates since Android 6.

I'm afraid that phone is just completely outdated, it's unsupported which means it's not receiving security updates and hasn't been for some time. You really need to think about gettinga new phone.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Ah. Thanks for letting me know Huawei.

Thanks Huawei for preserving the limited resources of our planet.🌍

D

Deleted member 17413

ERm...dude... China doesnt do enviromentally friendly, it just does cheap...thats why everyone uses them to make stuff...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
ERm...dude... China doesnt do enviromentally friendly, it just does cheap...thats why everyone uses them to make stuff...
It's also quite deliberate built-in obsolescence. By not updating older handsets they force you to buy a new one every three years or so.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's also quite deliberate built-in obsolescence. By not updating older handsets they force you to buy a new one every three years or so.
I'm not sure I fully agree with this, certainly in some circumstances that may be the case, and certainly with some specific manufacturers (samsung), but often when they deem a product out of support, it's more in line with the fact that they probably could update it to the next version, but the added resource requirements would impact performance to such an extent that it would leave an undesirable user experience.

Apple did this with the iphone 6, they allowed it to update to whichever IOS version it was at the time, and they got such negative press from users saying that they'd purposefully nerfed performance to get them to upgrade, that wasn't the case at all (confirmed by benchmarks), it was because memory requirements in that time had increased substantially and the phone was generally under resourced, plus hampered further by 3 year old batteries that needed replacing. That was when they set in place the 3 year upgrade cycle and I can fully understand why.

Your phone wouldn't be able to take Android 11, no way, not a chance in hell, just wouldn't be powerful enough.

You have to accept that technology moves along incredibly fast, especially at the moment. Be prepared to upgrade every 3 years to remain supported.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm not sure I fully agree with this, certainly in some circumstances that may be the case, and certainly with some specific manufacturers (samsung), but often when they deem a product out of support, it's more in line with the fact that they probably could update it to the next version, but the added resource requirements would impact performance to such an extent that it would leave an undesirable user experience.
That is perfectly true of course, but neither the handset vendor nor the service provider have any real commercial interest in allowing customers to keep using older handsets. It's probably a bit of both.....

BTW. I pointed out that the OPs handset needed updating in post #2.

Gavras

Master Poster
Not quite true.

Tooling, mass production and speed of turnaround parts are the key reasons.

If you are not hitting a certain quantity then it’s cheaper to produce in the UK.

You also need to Sea freight (slow ship) to reduce costs in logistics chain.

They are also heavily adopting more eco type stuff.

Also, a lot of organisations are looking to other countries with cheaper labour costs. This is due to high wages among certain sectors.

They will potentially be all electric before the UK.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Gosh, I started a debate by accident there. Still concerned that the phone didn't actually warn me it was going out of date (like Microsoft did repeatedly for my Windows PC until it forced an update to version10). Perhaps even advertise/suggest a new phone on startup?,...instead of displaying rubbish popups about Trump.

So, back to downloading photographs from an Android6 phone to a Windows 10 pc.

I finally found one way to do this without extras...:)

Plug phone into pc with USB, unlock phone, drag from top of phone screen to get 'Notifications'. My phone said 'USB connected' but in small grey lettering beneath it says 'Charge only'. Two buttons available, click 'Photos' (if no mode is selected, your device will only charge - I DID NOT KNOW THIS). Suddenly Microsoft Photos OneDrive pops up on pc and offers to import. Yep, import 'em. I then copied and pasted them to the folder I wanted on my pc and deleted the OneDrive imports (no drag and drop available).

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Gosh, I started a debate by accident there. Still concerned that the phone didn't actually warn me it was going out of date (like Microsoft did repeatedly for my Windows PC until it forced an update to version10). Perhaps even advertise/suggest a new phone on startup?,...instead of displaying rubbish popups about Trump.

So, back to downloading photographs from an Android6 phone to a Windows 10 pc.

I finally found one way to do this without extras...:)

Plug phone into pc with USB, unlock phone, drag from top of phone screen to get 'Notifications'. My phone said 'USB connected' but in small grey lettering beneath it says 'Charge only'. Two buttons available, click 'Photos' (if no mode is selected, your device will only charge - I DID NOT KNOW THIS). Suddenly Microsoft Photos OneDrive pops up on pc and offers to import. Yep, import 'em. I then copied and pasted them to the folder I wanted on my pc and deleted the OneDrive imports (no drag and drop available).
Good to hear you got sorted, i think we forget about basic things like using cables to transfer files, to use to doing it over wifi etc